Private Information and the Design of Securities
AbstractOne often quoted reason for the incompleteness of financial markets is the fact that an informational asymmetry prevents entrepreneurs to float their company on the market. In fact, the privileged information that the owners have on their firms discourages rational financial investors and thins the market. The paper studies the validity of this argument in a model similar to Grossman-Stiglitz (1980). An entrepreneur who contemplates issuing a new security faces a trade-off between speculative gains, which arise from his privileged information, and an insurance motive, associated with the insurance provided by the stock market. We study the terms of this arbitrage as a function of the fundamentals of the economy: aggregate risk, risk tolerance, precision of the privileged information.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Science Foundation Network in Financial Markets, c/o C.E.P.R, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ in its series CEPR Financial Markets Paper with number 0036.
Date of creation: Oct 1993
Date of revision:
Availability: in print
Contact details of provider:
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kajii, A. & Hara, C., 2000.
"On the Range of the Risk-Free Interest Rate in Incomplete Markets,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0030, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Atsushi Kajii & Chiaki Hara, 2003. "On the Range of the Risk-Free Interest Rate in Incomplete Markets," Levine's Bibliography 666156000000000383, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Chiaki Hara & Atsushi Kajii, 2003. "On the Range of the Risk-Free Interest Rate in Incomplete Markets," KIER Working Papers 577, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Robert J. Shiller, 1998.
"Social Security and Institutions for Intergenerational, Intragenerational, and International Risk Sharing,"
JCPR Working Papers
43, Northwestern University/University of Chicago Joint Center for Poverty Research.
- Shiller, Robert J., 1999. "Social security and institutions for intergenerational, intragenerational, and international risk-sharing," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 165-204, June.
- Robert J. Shiller, 1998. "Social Security and Institutions for Intergenerational, Intragenerational, and International Risk Sharing," NBER Working Papers 6641, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert J. Shiller, 1998. "Social Security and Institutions for Intergenerational, Intragenerational and International Risk Sharing," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1185, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Diego García & Branko Urosevic, 2004. "Noise and aggregation of information in large markets," Economics Working Papers 785, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Han N. Ozsoylev, 2005.
"Amplification and Asymmetry in Crashes and Frenzies,"
OFRC Working Papers Series
2005fe11, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Han Ozsoylev, 2008. "Amplification and asymmetry in crashes and frenzies," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 157-181, March.
- Han N. Ozsoylev, 2005. "Amplification and Asymmetry in Crashes and Frenzies," Economics Series Working Papers 2005-FE-11, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- García, Diego & Urošević, Branko, 2013. "Noise and aggregation of information in large markets," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 526-549.
- Kawamura, Enrique, 2004.
"Investors's distrust and the marketing of new financial assets,"
The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 265-295, May.
- Enrique L. Kawamura, 2000. "Investor´s Distrust and the Marketing of New Financial Assets," Working Papers 23, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Apr 2004.
- Faias, Marta, 2004. "General equilibrium and endogenous creation of asset markets," FEUNL Working Paper Series wp454, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.