Home Country Effects of Foreign Direct Investment: Evidence from Sweden
AbstractThis paper examines two broad issues related to foreign investment by Swedish multinational corporations (MNCs): first, the effects of outward foreign direct investment on domestic investment, exports and employment, and second, the effects on the domestic economy from the increasing division of labour between the parents and foreign affiliates of Swedish MNCs. The paper summarizes and synthesizes the existing empirical evidence on these matters (much of which has hitherto only been available in Swedish) and discusses some possible long-run effects that have received little attention in the literature.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 931.
Date of creation: Apr 1994
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1994. "Home Country Effects of Foreign Direct Investment: Evidence from Sweden," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 3, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Ari Kokko, 1995. "Home Country Effects of Foreign Direct Investment: Evidence from Sweden," NBER Working Papers 4639, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Magnus Blomstrom & Robert E. Lipsey & Lennart Ohlsson, 1991. "What Do Rich Countries Trade with Each Other? R&D and the Composition of U.S. and Swedish Trade," NBER Working Papers 3140, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Irving B. Kravis & Robert E. Lipsey, 1993. "The Effect of Multinational Firms' Operations on Their Domestic Employment," NBER Working Papers 2760, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dunne, T. & Roberts, M.J. & Samuelson, L., 1988.
"The Growth And Failure Of U.S. Manufacturing Plants,"
1-87-5, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Dunne, Timothy & Roberts, Mark J & Samuelson, Larry, 1989. "The Growth and Failure of U.S. Manufacturing Plants," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 104(4), pages 671-98, November.
- Jordan GL & Valhne JE, 1981. "Domestic employment effects of direct investment abroad by two Swedish multinationals," ILO Working Papers 209169, International Labour Organization.
- Manuela Magalhães & Ana Paula Africano, 2007.
"A Panel Analysis of the FDI Impact on International Trade,"
NIPE Working Papers
6/2007, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Manuela Magalhães & Ana Paula Africano, 2007. "A Panel Analysis of the FDI Impact on International Trade," FEP Working Papers 235, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Alicia Garcia Herrero & Daniel Navia Simon, 2004. "Determinants And Impact Of Financial Sector Fdi To Emerging," International Finance 0403001, EconWPA.
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 2000.
"Outward Investment, Employment, and Wages in Swedish Multinationals,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 16(3), pages 76-89, Autumn.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 2000. "Outward Investment, Employment and Wages in Swedish Multinationals," CEPR Discussion Papers 2524, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 2000. "Outward Investment, Employment and Wages in Swedish Multinationals," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 408, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Blomström, Magnus & Fors, Gunnar & Lipsey, Robert E., 1997.
"Foreign Direct Investment and Employment: Home Country Experience in the United States and Sweden,"
Working Paper Series
490, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Fors, Gunnar & Lipsey, Robert E, 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment and Employment: Home Country Experience in the United States and Sweden," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(445), pages 1787-97, November.
- Blomström, Magnus & Fors, Gunnar & Lipsey, Robert E., 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment and Employment: Home Country Experience in the United States and Sweden," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 200, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Gunnar Fors & Robert E. Lipsey, 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment and Employment: Home Country Experience in the United States and Sweden," NBER Working Papers 6205, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cheng, Leonard K. & Qiu, Larry D. & Tan, Guofu, 2005. "Foreign direct investment and international trade in a continuum Ricardian trade model," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 477-501, August.
- Peter Egger, .
"European Exports and Outward Foreign Direct Investment. A Dynamic Panel Data Approach,"
WIFO Working Papers
- Peter Egger, 2001. "European exports and outward foreign direct investment: A dynamic panel data approach," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 137(3), pages 427-449, September.
- Alicia Garcia-Herrero & Daniel Navia Simon, 2006. "Why Banks go to Emerging Countries and What is the Impact for the Home Economy? A Survey," Working Papers 0602, BBVA Bank, Economic Research Department.
- M.T. Alguacil & V. Orts, . "A multivariate cointegrated model testing for temporal causality between exports and outward FDI: The Spanish case," Studies on the Spanish Economy 50, FEDEA.
- David N. Figlio & Bruce A. Blonigen, 1999. "The Effects of Direct Foreign Investment on Local Communities," NBER Working Papers 7274, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Huiqun Liu & Jinyong Lu, 2011. "The home-employment effect of FDI from developing countries: in the case of China," Journal of Chinese Economic and Foreign Trade Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 4(3), pages 173-182, October.
- Lionel Fontagné & Michaël Pajot, 1997. "How Foreign Direct Investment Affects International Trade and Competitiveness: an Empirical Assessment," Working Papers 1997-17, CEPII research center.
- Athanasios Kalogeresis & Lois Labrianidis, 2010. "From spectator to walk-on to actor: An exploratory study of the internationalisation of Greek firms since 1989," European Journal of Comparative Economics, Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 7(1), pages 121-143, June.
- W. Hejazi & A. Safarian, 2001. "The complementarity between U.S. foreign direct investment stock and trade," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 29(4), pages 420-437, December.
- Iammarin, Simona & Pitelis, Christos, 1999. "Foreign Direct Investment and "Less Favoured Regions". Greek FDI in Bulgaria and Romania," ERSA conference papers ersa99pa300, European Regional Science Association.
- Terutomo Ozawa & Sergio Castello, 2001. "Toward an 'International Business' Paradigm of Endogenous Growth: Multinationals and Governments as Co-Endogenisers," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(2), pages 211-228.
- Leonard K. Cheng, 2000. "Technology Transfer, Foreign Direct Investment and International Trade," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1777, Econometric Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.