Competition and Industry Structure for International Rail Transportation
AbstractThis paper investigates various options for the organization of the railway industry when network operators require the access to multiple national networks to provide international (freight or passenger) transport services. The EU rail system provides a framework for our analysis. Returns-to-scale and the intensity of competition are key to understanding the impact of vertical integration or separation between infrastructure and operation services within each country in the presence of international transport services. We also consider an option in which a transnational infrastructure manager is in charge of offering a coordinated access to the national networks. In our model, it turns out to be an optimal industry structure.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 8491.
Date of creation: Jul 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
- Friebel, Guido & Ivaldi, Marc & Pouyet, Jérôme, 2011. "Competition and Industry Structure for International Rail Transportation," IDEI Working Papers 680, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised 07 Jun 2012.
- L14 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Transactional Relationships; Contracts and Reputation
- L42 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Vertical Restraints; Resale Price Maintenance; Quantity Discounts
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
- L92 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Railroads and Other Surface Transportation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-08-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2011-08-02 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CSE-2011-08-02 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-IND-2011-08-02 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-NET-2011-08-02 (Network Economics)
- NEP-URE-2011-08-02 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- BASSANINI, Anna & POUYET, Jérôme, 2002.
"Strategic choice of financing systems in regulated and interconnected industries,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2002017, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bassanini, Anna & Pouyet, Jerome, 2005. "Strategic choice of financing systems in regulated and interconnected industries," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(2-3), pages 233-259, February.
- Anna Bassanini & Jérôme Pouyet, 2004. "Strategic Choice of Financing Systems in Regulated and Interconnected Industries," Working Papers 2004-08, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Bassanini, Anna & Pouyet, Jérôme, 2003. "Strategic Choice of Financing Systems in Regulated and Interconnected Industries," CEPR Discussion Papers 3888, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Per Agrell & Jérôme Pouyet, 2005.
"The régulation of transborder network services,"
- Ivaldi, Marc & McCullough, Gerard, 2004.
"Subadditivity Tests for Network Separation with an Application to US Railroads,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4392, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ivaldi Marc & Mccullough Gerard, 2008. "Subadditivity Tests for Network Separation with an Application to U.S. Railroads," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-13, March.
- Ivaldi, Marc & Mccullough, Gerard, 1999.
"Density and Integration Effects on Class I U.S. Freight Railroads,"
IDEI Working Papers
93, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Ivaldi, M & McCullough, G J, 2001. "Density and Integration Effects on Class I U.S. Freight Railroads," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 161-82, March.
- Ivaldi, M. & McCullough, G., 1999. "Density and Integration Effects on Class I U.S. Freight Railroads," Papers 99.526, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- repec:rne:rneart:v:7:y:2008:i:1:p:159-171 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.