Welfare Effects of `1992': A General Equilibrium Assessment for EC and EFTA Countries
AbstractIn this paper production, trade and welfare effects of European integration are discussed, with particular emphasis on the effects for the EC and EFTA. Insight from previous partial and general equilibrium analyses of the internal market are reviewed, and new model simulations are presented. In addition to the `standard' experiments of `1992' as reduced trade costs and as full market integration for the EC alone, and for the European Economic Area (EEA), an intermediate case, with full integration in the EC but only lower trade costs between the EC and EFTA, is analysed. All cases show that EFTA will benefit significantly from freer trade and closer integration with the EC. With regard to non-European regions, the simulations of European integration show some degree of trade diversion, but stylized model experiments indicate that a successful outcome of the Uruguay Round may more than offset the trade-diverting effects of `1992'.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 828.
Date of creation: Jul 1993
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D58 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Computable and Other Applied General Equilibrium Models
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F17 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Forecasting and Simulation
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jože P. Damijan & Igor Masten, 2002.
"Time Dependent Efficiency of Free Trade Agreements - The Case of Slovenia and the CEFTA Agreement,"
The Economic and Social Review,
Economic and Social Studies, vol. 33(1), pages 147-160.
- Joze P. Damijan & Igor Masten, 2002. "Time-Dependent Efficiency of Free Trade Agreements: The Case of Slovenia and the CEFTA Agreement," LICOS Discussion Papers 11702, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.