Globalization and Inflation in Europe
AbstractWhat is the impact of import competition from other low-wage countries (LWCs) on inflationary pressure in Western Europe? This paper seeks to understand whether labor-intensive exports from emerging Europe, Asia, and other global regions have a uniform impact on producer prices in Germany, France, Italy, Sweden, and the United Kingdom. In a panel covering 110 (4-digit) NACE industries from 1995 to 2008, IV estimates predict that LWC import competition is associated with strong price effects. More specifically, when Chinese exporters capture 1% of European market share, producer prices decrease about 2%. In contrast, no effect is present for import competition from low-wage countries in Central and Eastern Europe.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 8130.
Date of creation: Dec 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
- Raphael Auer & Kathrin Degen & Andreas M. Fischer, 2010. "Globalization and inflation in Europe," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 65, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- F11 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Neoclassical Models of Trade
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F16 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade and Labor Market Interactions
- F40 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raphael Anton Auer & Andreas M. Fischer, 2008.
"The Effect of Low-Wage Import Competition on U.S. Inflationary Pressure,"
2008-18, Swiss National Bank.
- Auer, Raphael & Fischer, Andreas M., 2010. "The effect of low-wage import competition on U.S. inflationary pressure," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(4), pages 491-503, May.
- Jane Ihrig & Steven B. Kamin & Deborah Lindner & Jaime Marquez, 2007. "Some simple tests of the globalization and inflation hypothesis," International Finance Discussion Papers 891, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Trefler, Daniel, 1993. "International Factor Price Differences: Leontief Was Right!," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(6), pages 961-87, December.
- Donald R. Davis & David E. Weinstein, 1998.
"An Account of Global Factor Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
6785, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Donald R. Davis & David E. Weinstein, 1998. "An Account of Global Factor Trade," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1849, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Davis, D.R. & Weinstein, D.E., 1999. "An Account of Global Factor Trade," Working Papers 435, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Natalie Chen & Jean Imbs & Andrew Scott, 2006.
"The dynamics of trade and competition,"
Working Paper Research
91, National Bank of Belgium.
- Marc J. Melitz & Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano, 2005.
"Market Size, Trade, and Productivity,"
Development Working Papers
201, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Marc J. Melitz & Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano, 2005. "Market Size, Trade, and Productivity," NBER Working Papers 11393, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ottaviano, Gianmarco & Melitz, Marc, 2008. "Market Size, Trade, and Productivity," Scholarly Articles 3229096, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Nigel Pain & Isabell Koske & Marte Sollie, 2006. "Globalisation and Inflation in the OECD Economies," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 524, OECD Publishing.
- Matteo Bugamelli & Silvia Fabiani & Enrico Sette, 2010. "The pro-competitive effect of imports from China: an analysis of firm-level price data," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 737, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- John Romalis, 2004. "Factor Proportions and the Structure of Commodity Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(1), pages 67-97, March.
- Geoffrey M.B. Tootell, 1998. "Globalization and U.S. inflation," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Jul, pages 21-33.
- Gnan, Ernest & Valderrama, Maria Teresa & Glatzer, Ernst, 2006. "Globalization, Import Prices and Producer Prices in Austria," Monetary Policy & the Economy, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 3, pages 24â43.
- Harchaoui, Tarek M., 2012. "The Europe-U.S. Retail Trade Productivity Gap in a Rear-view Mirror," GGDC Research Memorandum GD-127, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
- Raphael Auer, 2011.
"Exchange rate pass-through, domestic competition and inflation -- evidence from the 2005/08 revaluation of the Renminbi,"
Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper
68, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Raphael A. Auer, 2012. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through, Domestic Competition, and Inflation: Evidence from the 2005/08 Revaluation of the Renminbi," CESifo Working Paper Series 3759, CESifo Group Munich.
- Raphael Anton Auer, 2012. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through, Domestic Competition, and Inflation: Evidence from the 2005/08 Revaluation of the Renminbi," Working Papers 2012-01, Swiss National Bank.
- Chevassus-Lozza, Emmanuelle & Gaigné, Carl & Le Mener, Léo, 2013.
"Does input trade liberalization boost downstream firms' exports? Theory and firm-level evidence,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 391-402.
- Chevassus-Lozza, Emmanuelle & Gaigne, Carl & Le Mener, Leo, 2012. "Does input trade liberalization boost downstream firms’ exports? Theory and firm-level evidence," Working Papers 126946, Structure and Performance of Agriculture and Agri-products Industry (SPAA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.