Globalization and Inflation in Europe
AbstractWhat is the impact of import competition from other low-wage countries (LWCs) on inflationary pressure in Western Europe? This paper seeks to understand whether labor-intensive exports from emerging Europe, Asia, and other global regions have a uniform impact on producer prices in Germany, France, Italy, Sweden, and the United Kingdom. In a panel covering 110 (4-digit) NACE industries from 1995 to 2008, IV estimates predict that LWC import competition is associated with strong price effects. More specifically, when Chinese exporters capture 1% of European market share, producer prices decrease about 2%. In contrast, no effect is present for import competition from low-wage countries in Central and Eastern Europe.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 8130.
Date of creation: Dec 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
- Raphael Auer & Kathrin Degen & Andreas M. Fischer, 2010. "Globalization and inflation in Europe," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 65, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- F11 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Neoclassical Models of Trade
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F16 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade and Labor Market Interactions
- F40 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Romalis, 2004. "Factor Proportions and the Structure of Commodity Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(1), pages 67-97, March.
- Marc J. Melitz & Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano, 2005.
"Market Size, Trade, and Productivity,"
Development Working Papers
201, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Ottaviano, Gianmarco & Melitz, Marc, 2008. "Market Size, Trade, and Productivity," Scholarly Articles 3229096, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Marc J. Melitz & Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano, 2005. "Market Size, Trade, and Productivity," NBER Working Papers 11393, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ernst Glatzer & Ernest Gnan & Maria Teresa Valderrama, 2006. "Globalization, Import Prices and Producer Prices in Austria," Monetary Policy & the Economy, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 3, pages 24â€“43.
- Donald R. Davis & David E. Weinstein, 1998.
"An Account of Global Factor Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
6785, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Donald R. Davis & David E. Weinstein, 1998. "An Account of Global Factor Trade," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1849, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Davis, D.R. & Weinstein, D.E., 1999. "An Account of Global Factor Trade," Working Papers, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan 435, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Natalie Chen & Jean Imbs & Andrew Scott, 2006.
"The dynamics of trade and competition,"
Working Paper Research, National Bank of Belgium
91, National Bank of Belgium.
- Raphael Anton Auer & Andreas M. Fischer, 2008.
"The Effect of Low-Wage Import Competition on U.S. Inflationary Pressure,"
2008-18, Swiss National Bank.
- Auer, Raphael & Fischer, Andreas M., 2010. "The effect of low-wage import competition on U.S. inflationary pressure," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 57(4), pages 491-503, May.
- Geoffrey M.B. Tootell, 1998. "Globalization and U.S. inflation," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Jul, pages 21-33.
- Matteo Bugamelli & Silvia Fabiani & Enrico Sette, 2010. "The pro-competitive effect of imports from China: an analysis of firm-level price data," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers), Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area 737, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Jane Ihrig & Steven B. Kamin & Deborah Lindner & Jaime Marquez, 2007. "Some simple tests of the globalization and inflation hypothesis," International Finance Discussion Papers, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.) 891, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Trefler, Daniel, 1993. "International Factor Price Differences: Leontief Was Right!," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(6), pages 961-87, December.
- Wheeler, Tracy, 2008. "Has trade with China affected UK inflation?," Discussion Papers, Monetary Policy Committee Unit, Bank of England 22, Monetary Policy Committee Unit, Bank of England.
- Nigel Pain & Isabell Koske & Marte Sollie, 2006. "Globalisation and Inflation in the OECD Economies," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 524, OECD Publishing.
- Harchaoui, Tarek M., 2012. "The Europe-U.S. Retail Trade Productivity Gap in a Rear-view Mirror," GGDC Research Memorandum, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen GD-127, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
- Raphael Anton Auer, 2012.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through, Domestic Competition, and Inflation: Evidence from the 2005/08 Revaluation of the Renminbi,"
2012-01, Swiss National Bank.
- Raphael A. Auer, 2012. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through, Domestic Competition, and Inflation: Evidence from the 2005/08 Revaluation of the Renminbi," CESifo Working Paper Series 3759, CESifo Group Munich.
- Raphael Auer, 2011. "Exchange rate pass-through, domestic competition and inflation -- evidence from the 2005/08 revaluation of the Renminbi," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 68, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Chevassus-Lozza, Emmanuelle & Gaigné, Carl & Le Mener, Léo, 2013.
"Does input trade liberalization boost downstream firms' exports? Theory and firm-level evidence,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 391-402.
- Chevassus-Lozza, Emmanuelle & Gaigne, Carl & Le Mener, Leo, 2012. "Does input trade liberalization boost downstream firmsâ€™ exports? Theory and firm-level evidence," Working Papers, Structure and Performance of Agriculture and Agri-products Industry (SPAA) 126946, Structure and Performance of Agriculture and Agri-products Industry (SPAA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.