Exchange Rate Regimes and Trade Prices: Does the EMS Matter?
AbstractThis paper investigates the role of the exchange rate regime in the process of trade adjustment, by examining the relationship between trade prices and exchange rate regimes. The theoretical framework is a dynamic one à la Froot-Klemperer (1989). The empirical investigation takes advantage of the simultaneous occurrence, since 1979, of relatively stable exchange rates inside the ERM and instable rates outside to engage in a controlled experiment on the impact of the exchange rate regime on trade prices. The results suggest that a system of pegged rates like the EMS, although helpful, is not necessary to achieve a smooth process of trade adjustment. It appears that the absence of misalignment rather than the type of exchange rate regime is the crucial factor for fulfilling such an objective.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 810.
Date of creation: Aug 1993
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
- Sapir, Andre & Sekkat, Khalid, 1995. "Exchange rate regimes and trade prices Does the EMS matter?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1-2), pages 75-94, February.
- André Sapir & Khalid Sekkat, 1995. "Exchange rate regimes and trade prices: does the EMS matter?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8170, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- L16 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Industrial Organization and Macroeconomics; Macroeconomic Industrial Structure
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mussa, Michael, 1986. "Nominal exchange rate regimes and the behavior of real exchange rates: Evidence and implications," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 117-214, January.
- Richard Baldwin & Paul R. Krugman, 1986.
"Persistent Trade Effects of Large Exchage Rate Shocks,"
NBER Working Papers
2017, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baldwin, Richard & Krugman, Paul, 1989. "Persistent Trade Effects of Large Exchange Rate Shocks," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 104(4), pages 635-54, November.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Paul Klemperer, 1989.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through When Market Share Matters,"
NBER Working Papers
2542, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Froot, Kenneth A & Klemperer, Paul D, 1989. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through When Market Share Matters," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 637-54, September.
- Knetter, Michael M, 1989. "Price Discrimination by U.S. and German Exporters," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 198-210, March.
- Beggs, Alan W & Klemperer, Paul, 1992.
"Multi-period Competition with Switching Costs,"
Econometric Society, vol. 60(3), pages 651-66, May.
- Catherine L. Mann, 1986. "Prices, profit margins, and exchange rates," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Jun, pages 366-379.
- Robert Z. Lawrence, 1990. "U.S. Current Account Adjustment: An Appraisal," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 21(2), pages 343-392.
- Kasa, Kenneth, 1992. "Adjustment costs and pricing-to-market theory and evidence," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1-2), pages 1-30, February.
- Eric Renault & Khalid Sekkat & Ariane Szafarz, 1998.
"Testing for Spurious Causality in Exchange Rates,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/709, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Michel Fouquin & Nanno Mulder & Laurence Nayman & Khalid Sekkat & Joffrey Malek Mansour, 2001. "Sector Sensitivity to Exchange Rate Fluctuations," Working Papers 2001-11, CEPII research center.
- Khalid Sekkat, 2001. "On the Aggregate Impact of Exchange Rate Variability on EU Trade," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 2(1), pages 57-78, 02.
- Lúcio Vinhas de Souza, 2002. "Trade Effects of Monetary Integration in Large, Mature Economies: A Primer on the European Monetary Union," Kiel Working Papers 1137, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Irandoust, Manuchehr, 1998. "Pricing Policy in the Swedish Automobile Market," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 309-317, May.
- Ngongang, Elie, 2011. "Impact of Exchange Rate Policy on the Trade of Industrial Products in Sub-Saharan Africa from 1975 to 2007," Review of Applied Economics, Review of Applied Economics, vol. 7(1-2).
- Khalid Sekkat & Aristomene Varoudakis, 2000.
"Exchange rate management and manufactured exports in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/7342, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Sekkat, Khalid & Varoudakis, Aristomene, 2000. "Exchange rate management and manufactured exports in Sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 237-253, February.
- Khalid Sekkat & Aristomène Varoudakis, 1998. "Exchange-Rate Management and Manufactured Exports in Sub-Saharan Africa," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 134, OECD Publishing.
- Kallio, Panu K.S. & Abbott, Philip C., 1998. "Export Subsidies And Switching Costs In An Imperfectly Competitive International Wheat Market," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 20789, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Lee, Jaewoo, 1998. "Intertemporal substitution in imported durables," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 113-133, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.