Agricultural Distortions in Sub-Saharan Africa: Trade and Welfare Indicators, 1961 to 2004
AbstractFor decades, agricultural price and trade policies in Sub-Saharan Africa hampered farmers’ contributions to economic growth and poverty reduction. While there has been much policy reform over the past two decades, the injections of agricultural development funding, together with on-going regional and global trade negotiations, have brought distortionary policies under the spotlight once again. A key question asked of those policies is: how much are they still reducing national economic welfare and trade? Economy-wide models are able to address that question, but they are not available for many poor countries. Even where they are, typically they apply to just one particular previous year and so are unable to provide trends in effects over time. This paper provides a partial-equilibrium alternative to economy-wide modelling, by drawing on a modification of so-called trade restrictiveness indexes to provide theoretically precise indicators of the trade and welfare effects of agricultural policy distortions to producer and consumer prices over the past half-century. We generate time series of country level indices, as well as Africa-wide aggregates. We also provide annual commodity market indices for the region, and we provide a sense of the relative importance of the key policy instruments used.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 7747.
Date of creation: Mar 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
- Johanna L. Croser & Kym Anderson, 2011. "Agricultural Distortions in Sub-Saharan Africa: Trade and Welfare Indicators, 1961 to 2004," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 25(2), pages 250-277, May.
- Croser, Johanna L. & Anderson, Kym, 2010. "Agricultural Distortions in Sub-Saharan Africa: Trade and Welfare Indicators, 1961 to 2004," 2010 Conference (54th), February 10-12, 2010, Adelaide, Australia 58879, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Croser, Johanna & Anderson, Kym, 2010. "Agricultural distortions in Sub-Saharan Africa : trade and welfare indicators, 1961 to 2004," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5344, The World Bank.
- Johanna Croser & Kym Anderson, 2010. "Agricultural Distortions in Sub-Saharan Africa: Trade and Welfare Indicators, 1961 to 2004," Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers 2010-07, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- N57 - Economic History - - Agriculture, Natural Resources, Environment and Extractive Industries - - - Africa; Oceania
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kym Anderson & Markus Bruckner, 2012.
"Distortions to Agriculture and Economic Growth in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
Departmental Working Papers
2012-06, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Anderson, Kym & Bruckner, Markus, 2012. "Distortions to Agriculture and Economic Growth in Sub-Saharan Africa," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124908, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Anderson, Kym & Bruckner, Markus, 2012. "Distortions to agriculture and economic growth in Sub-Saharan Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6206, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2011. "Missing Food : The Case of Postharvest Grain Losses in Sub-Saharan Africa," World Bank Other Operational Studies 2824, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.