Can Production Subsidies Foster Export Activity? Evidence from Chinese Firm Level Data
AbstractUsing a unique firm level data set from the Chinese manufacturing sector, this paper analyses the impact of production subsidies on firms’ export performance. It documents robust evidence that production subsidies stimulate export activity, although this effect is conditional on firm characteristics. In particular, the beneficial impact of subsidies is found to be more pronounced amongst profit-making firms, firms in capital intensive industries and those with previous exporting experience. Compared to firm characteristics, the extent of heterogeneity across ownership structure (SOEs, collectives and privately-owned firms) proves to be relatively less important.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 6052.
Date of creation: Jan 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
- O2 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy
- P3 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-01-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-CNA-2007-01-28 (China)
- NEP-DEV-2007-01-28 (Development)
- NEP-INT-2007-01-28 (International Trade)
- NEP-SEA-2007-01-28 (South East Asia)
- NEP-TRA-2007-01-28 (Transition Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Shabbir, Safia & Iqbal, Javed & Hameed, Saima, 2013. "Risk Premium, Interest Rate Differential, and Subsidized Lending in Pakistan," MPRA Paper 48250, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wim Naudé & Stephanié Rossouw, 2010.
"Early international entrepreneurship in China: Extent and determinants,"
Journal of International Entrepreneurship,
Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 87-111, March.
- Naude, Wim & Rossouw, Stephanie, 2009. "Early International Entrepreneurship in China: Extent and Determinants," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Wim Naudé & Marianne Matthee, 2011. "The impact of transport costs on new venture internationalisation," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 62-89, March.
- Sourafel Girma & Holger Görg & Joachim Wagner, 2009.
"Subsidies and Exports in Germany. First Evidence from Enterprise Panel Data,"
Kiel Working Papers
1481, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Sourafel Girma & Holger Görg & Joachim Wagner, 2009. "Subsidies and Exports in Germany. First Evidence from Enterprise Panel Data," Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik), Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 55(3), pages 179-198.
- Girma, Sourafel & Görg, Holger & Wagner, Joachim, 2009. "Subsidies and Exports in Germany: First Evidence from Enterprise Panel Data," IZA Discussion Papers 4076, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sourafel Girma & Holger Görg & Joachim Wagner, 2009. "Subsidies and Exports in Germany First Evidence from Enterprise Panel Data," Working Paper Series in Economics 117, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Naude, Wim, 2009.
".Rushing in where Angels Fear to Tread?.: The Early Internationalization of Indigenous Chinese Firms,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Wim Naudé, 2009. "“Rushing in where angels fear to tread”?: The early internationalization of indigenous Chinese firms," Journal of Chinese Economic and Foreign Trade Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 2(3), pages 163-177, October.
- Kolesnikova, Irina, 2010. "State Aid for Industrial Enterprises in Belarus: Remedy or Poison?," MPRA Paper 22403, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.