International Capital Mobility, Shadow Prices and the Cost of Protection
AbstractThis paper studies the welfare losses from tariff protection in a general model of a small open economy where some factors are internationally mobile. It is shown that, as long as the economy remains incompletely specialised international factor mobility must raise the cost of protection. This result is illustrated in the context of the specific-factors and Heckscher-Ohlin models. In addition, we examine its relationship to earlier work on immiserising capital inflows and on negative shadow prices for factors of production. This allows us to synthesise a number of recent results within a common framework.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 58.
Date of creation: Mar 1985
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
- Neary, Peter & Ruane, Frances P, 1988. "International Capital Mobility, Shadow Prices, and the Cost of Protection," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 29(4), pages 571-85, November.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Basu, Arnab K. & Chau, Nancy H., 1999. "Adverse selection, asymmetric information, and foreign investment policies," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 239-252, September.
- Marjit, Sugata & Beladi, Hamid, 1996. "Protection and the gainful effects of foreign capital," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 311-316, December.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2000051 is not listed on IDEAS
- Henrik Egbert & Nadeem Naqvi, 2011.
"Market-dependent Production Set,"
MAGKS Papers on Economics
201145, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- de Melo, Jaime & Tarr, David, 1996.
"VERs under imperfect competition and foreign direct investment: A case study of the US-Japan auto VER,"
Japan and the World Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 11-33, March.
- de Melo, J. & Tarr, D., 1994. "VERs Under Imperfect Competition and Foreing Direct Investment: A Case study of the US-Japan Auto VER," Research Papers by the Institute of Economics and Econometrics, Geneva School of Economics and Management, University of Geneva 94.09, Institut d'Economie et Econométrie, Université de Genève.
- de Melo, Jaime & Tarr, David, 1995. "VERs Under Imperfect Competition and Foreign Direct Investment: A Case Study of the US-Japan Auto VER," CEPR Discussion Papers 1173, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- de Melo, Jaime & Tarr, David, 1991. "VERs under imperfect competition and foreign direct investment : a case study of the U.S. - Japan auto VER," Policy Research Working Paper Series 667, The World Bank.
- Michael Michael & Panos Hatzipanayotou, 2013.
"Pollution and reforms of domestic and trade taxes towards uniformity,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 20(5), pages 753-768, October.
- Michael S. Michael & Panos Hatzipanayotou, 2012. "Pollution and Reforms of Domestic and Trade Taxes towards Uniformity," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 11-2012, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Devereux, John & Roberts, Bryan, 1997. "Direct Foreign Investment and Welfare in the Transforming Economies: The Case of Central Asia," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 297-312, June.
- Michael S. Michael & Sajal Lahiri & Panos Hatzipanayotou, 2013. "Piecemeal Reform of Domestic Indirect Taxes toward Uniformity in the Presence of Pollution: with and without a Revenue Constraint," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 03-2013, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Kar, Saibal & Marjit, Sugata, 2004. "Wages, labour mobility and international trade," MPRA Paper 24101, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Klodt, Henning, 1988. "Industrial policy and repressed structural change in West Germany," Kiel Working Papers 322, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Broll, Udo & Hansen, Sabine & Marjit, Sugata, 2004. "Domestic labor, foreign capital and national welfare," Dresden Discussion Paper Series in Economics 12/04, Dresden University of Technology, Faculty of Business and Economics, Department of Economics.
- Kreickemeier, Udo & Raimondos-Møller, Pascalis, 2006.
"Concertina Reforms with International Capital Mobility,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5888, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kreickemeier, Udo & Raimondos-Møller, Pascalis, 2006. "Concertina Reforms with International Capital Mobility," Working Papers 05-2006, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Economics.
- Cunha, Luis Campos e & Santos, Vasco, 1996. "Sleeping quotas, pre-emptive quota bidding and monopoly power," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1-2), pages 127-148, February.
- Philip L. Brock & Stephen J. Turnovsky, 1992. "The Growth and Welfare Consequences of Differential Tariffs With Endogenously-Supplied Capital and Labor," NBER Working Papers 4011, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mamit Deme & David Franck & Nadeem Naqvi, 2005. "A General Equilibrium Skill Acquisitions Model Of Development For Lesotho," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 30(1), pages 15-29, June.
- Lal, Anil K., 1995. "Increasing returns, urban unemployment, and international capital mobility: A trade policy analysis," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 181-193, February.
- Ronald W. Jones, 2000. "Private Interests and Government Policy in a Global World," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 00-051/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Jones, Ronald W., 2000. "Private interests and government policy in a global world," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 243-256, June.
- George Darko & Richard Dusansky & Pankaj Maskara & Nadeem Naqvi, 2006. "The gains from trade in a small monetary economy," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(4), pages 403-430.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.