Trade in Services, Trade Agreements and Economic Development: A Survey of the Literature
AbstractSince the mid 1980s a substantial amount of research has been undertaken on trade in services. Much of this is inspired by the WTO or regional trade agreements, especially the EU, but an increasing number of papers focus on the impacts of services sector liberalization. This paper surveys the literature, focusing on contributions that investigate the determinants of international trade and investment in services, the potential gains from greater trade (and liberalization) and efforts to cooperate to achieve such liberalization through trade agreements. There is increasing evidence that services liberalization is an important source of potential welfare gains, but relatively little research has been done that can inform the design of international cooperation - both trade agreements and development assistance - so as to more effectively promote development objectives.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 5760.
Date of creation: Jul 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
- F2 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business
- F5 - International Economics - - International Relations, National Security, and International Political Economy
- L80 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Keith Maskus, 2008. "The Globalization of Intellectual Property Rights and Innovation in Services," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 247-267, December.
- Massimo Armenise & Giorgia Giovannetti & Gianluca Santoni, 2011. "FDI in Business Services has general TFP effects : evidence from Italy," Working Papers - Economics wp2011_12.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.