Indeterminacy with Small Externalities: The Role of Non-Separable Preferences
AbstractIn this paper we consider a Ramsey one-sector model with non-separable homothetic preferences, endogenous labour and productive external effects arising from average capital and labour. We show that indeterminacy cannot arise when there are only capital externalities but that it does when there are only labour external effects. We prove that sunspot fluctuations are fully consistent with small market imperfections and realistic calibrations for the elasticity of capital-labour substitution (including the Cobb-Douglas specification) provided the elasticity of intertemporal substitution in consumption and the elasticity of the labour supply are large enough.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 5541.
Date of creation: Mar 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
- Teresa Lloyd-Braga & Carine Nourry & Alain Venditti, 2006. "Indeterminacy with small externalities: The role of non-separable preferences," International Journal of Economic Theory, The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 2(3-4), pages 217-239.
- C62 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Existence and Stability Conditions of Equilibrium
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- O41 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - One, Two, and Multisector Growth Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-04-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-DGE-2006-04-08 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-MAC-2006-04-08 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Duffy, John & Papageorgiou, Chris, 2000. " A Cross-Country Empirical Investigation of the Aggregate Production Function Specification," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 87-120, March.
- Pintus, Patrick A., 2007.
"Local determinacy with non-separable utility,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 669-682, February.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel & Pintus, Patrick & de Vilder, Robin, 1998.
"Capital-Labor Substitution and Competitive Nonlinear Endogenous Business Cycles,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 14-59, May.
- Jean-Michel Grandmont & P, A, Pintus & R, De Vilder, 1997. "Capital-Labor Substitution and Competitive Nonlinear Endogenous Business Cycles," Working Papers 97-28, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- GRANDMONT, Jean-Michel & PINTUS, Patrick & de VILDER, Robin, 1997. "Capital-labor substitution and competitive nonlinear endogenous business cycles," CORE Discussion Papers 1997087, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- King, Robert G & Plosser, Charles I & Rebelo, Sergio T, 2002.
"Production, Growth and Business Cycles: Technical Appendix,"
Society for Computational Economics, vol. 20(1-2), pages 87-116, October.
- Benhabib Jess & Farmer Roger E. A., 1994.
"Indeterminacy and Increasing Returns,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 19-41, June.
- Pelloni, Alessandra & Waldmann, Robert, 1998.
"Stability properties of a growth model,"
Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 55-60, October.
- Boldrin, Michele & Rustichini, Aldo, 1994.
"Growth and Indeterminacy in Dynamic Models with Externalities,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(2), pages 323-42, March.
- Michele Boldrin & Aldo Rustichini, 2010. "Growth and Indeterminacy in Dynamic Models with Externalities," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1382, David K. Levine.
- Patrick Pintus, 2006. "Indeterminacy with almost constant returns to scale: capital-labor substitution matters," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 633-649, 08.
- Hintermaier, Thomas, 2003. "On the minimum degree of returns to scale in sunspot models of the business cycle," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 400-409, June.
- Bennett, R.L. & Farmer, R.E.A., 1999.
"Indeterminacy with Non-Separable Utility,"
Economics Working Papers
eco99/34, European University Institute.
- Benhabib, Jess & Farmer, Roger E.A., 1999. "Indeterminacy and sunspots in macroeconomics," Handbook of Macroeconomics, in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 6, pages 387-448 Elsevier.
- Jaime Alonso-Carrera & Jordi Caballe & Xavier Raurich, 2005.
"Can consumption spillovers be a source of equilibrium indeterminacy?,"
154, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Alonso-Carrera, Jaime & Caballé, Jordi & Raurich, Xavier, 2008. "Can consumption spillovers be a source of equilibrium indeterminacy?," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 2883-2902, September.
- Jaime Alonso-Carrera & Jordi CaballÃ© & Xavier Raurich, 2005. "Can consumption spillovers be a source of equilibrium indeterminacy?," 2005 Meeting Papers 362, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Jaime Alonso-Carrera & Jordi Caballé & Xavier Raurich, 2005. "Can consumption spillovers be a source of equilibrium indeterminacy?," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 657.05, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Jaime Alonso-Carrera & Jordi caballe & Xavier Raurich, 2007. "Can Consumption Spillovers Be A Source Of Equilibrium Indeterminacy?," CAMA Working Papers 2007-13, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Guo, Jang-Ting & Lansing, Kevin J., 2009. "Capital-labor substitution and equilibrium indeterminacy," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(12), pages 1991-2000, December.
- Kazuo Nishimura & Alain Venditti, 2010.
"Indeterminacy and expectation-driven uctuations with non-separable preferences,"
KIER Working Papers
702, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Nishimura, Kazuo & Venditti, Alain, 2010. "Indeterminacy and expectation-driven fluctuations with non-separable preferences," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 46-56, July.
- Stefano Bosi & Francesco Magris & Alain Venditti, 2007. "Sunspot Fluctuations in Two-sector Economies with Heterogeneous Agents," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 311-331, November.
- Busato, Francesco & Marchetti, Enrico, 2010.
"Endogenous skill cycles,"
Research in Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 175-185, September.
- Jang-Ting Guo & Kevin J. Lansing, 2008.
"Capital-labor substitution, equilibrium indeterminacy, and the cyclical behavior of labor income,"
Working Paper Series
2008-06, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Jang-Ting Guo & Kevin J. Lansing, 2008. "Capital-Labor Substitution, Equilibrium Indeterminacy, and the Cyclical Behavior of Labor Income," Working Papers 200804, University of California at Riverside, Department of Economics, revised Apr 2008.
- Carine Nourry & Thomas Seegmuller & Alain Venditti, 2011.
"Aggregate instability under balanced-budget consumption taxes: a re-examination,"
- Nourry, Carine & Seegmuller, Thomas & Venditti, Alain, 2013. "Aggregate instability under balanced-budget consumption taxes: A re-examination," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 148(5), pages 1977-2006.
- Francesco Busato & Bruno Charini & Enrico Marchetti, 2004.
"Indeterminacy, Underground Activities and Tax Evasion,"
Economics Working Papers
2004-12, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Busato, Francesco & Chiarini, Bruno & Marchetti, Enrico, 2011. "Indeterminacy, underground activities and tax evasion," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 831-844, May.
- Francesco Busato & Bruno Chiarini & Enrico Marchetti, 2005. "Indeterminacy, Underground Activities and Tax Evasion," Working Papers 289, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Francesco Busato & Enrico Marchetti, 2006.
"Skills, sunspots and cycles,"
Economics Working Papers
2006-07, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Jean-Philippe Garnier, 2013. "Keeping-up with the Joneses, a new source of fluctuations in the two-sector continuous-time models," Working Papers hal-00991664, HAL.
- Magris, Francesco, 2012. "Indeterminacy and multiple steady states with sector-specific externalities," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 2664-2672.
- Been-Lon Chen & Angus Chu, 2010. "On R&D spillovers, multiple equilibria and indeterminacy," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 100(3), pages 247-263, July.
- Wong, Tsz-Nga & Yip, Chong K., 2010. "Indeterminacy and the elasticity of substitution in one-sector models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 623-635, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.