Indeterminacy with Small Externalities: The Role of Non-Separable Preferences
AbstractIn this paper we consider a Ramsey one-sector model with non-separable homothetic preferences, endogenous labour and productive external effects arising from average capital and labour. We show that indeterminacy cannot arise when there are only capital externalities but that it does when there are only labour external effects. We prove that sunspot fluctuations are fully consistent with small market imperfections and realistic calibrations for the elasticity of capital-labour substitution (including the Cobb-Douglas specification) provided the elasticity of intertemporal substitution in consumption and the elasticity of the labour supply are large enough.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 5541.
Date of creation: Mar 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
- Teresa Lloyd-Braga & Carine Nourry & Alain Venditti, 2006. "Indeterminacy with small externalities: The role of non-separable preferences," International Journal of Economic Theory, The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 2(3-4), pages 217-239.
- C62 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Existence and Stability Conditions of Equilibrium
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- O41 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - One, Two, and Multisector Growth Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-04-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-DGE-2006-04-08 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-MAC-2006-04-08 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pelloni, A. & Waldmann, R., 1997.
"Stability Properties in a Growth Model,"
Economics Working Papers
eco97/11, European University Institute.
- Benhabib, J. & Farmer, R.E.A, 1991.
"Indeterminacy and Increasing Returns,"
165, Cambridge - Risk, Information & Quantity Signals.
- Pintus, Patrick A., 2007.
"Local determinacy with non-separable utility,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 669-682, February.
- GRANDMONT, Jean-Michel & PINTUS, Patrick & de VILDER, Robin, 1997.
"Capital-labor substitution and competitive nonlinear endogenous business cycles,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1997087, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel & Pintus, Patrick & de Vilder, Robin, 1998. "Capital-Labor Substitution and Competitive Nonlinear Endogenous Business Cycles," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 14-59, May.
- Jean-Michel Grandmont & P, A, Pintus & R, De Vilder, 1997. "Capital-Labor Substitution and Competitive Nonlinear Endogenous Business Cycles," Working Papers 97-28, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Benhabib, Jess & Farmer, Roger E.A., 1999. "Indeterminacy and sunspots in macroeconomics," Handbook of Macroeconomics, in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 6, pages 387-448 Elsevier.
- Hintermaier, Thomas, 2003. "On the minimum degree of returns to scale in sunspot models of the business cycle," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 400-409, June.
- Patrick Pintus, 2006. "Indeterminacy with almost constant returns to scale: capital-labor substitution matters," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 633-649, 08.
- Bennett, R.L. & Farmer, R.E.A., 1999.
"Indeterminacy with Non-Separable Utility,"
Economics Working Papers
eco99/34, European University Institute.
- King, Robert G & Plosser, Charles I & Rebelo, Sergio T, 2002.
"Production, Growth and Business Cycles: Technical Appendix,"
Society for Computational Economics, vol. 20(1-2), pages 87-116, October.
- Boldrin, Michele & Rustichini, Aldo, 1994.
"Growth and Indeterminacy in Dynamic Models with Externalities,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(2), pages 323-42, March.
- Michele Boldrin & Aldo Rustichini, 2010. "Growth and Indeterminacy in Dynamic Models with Externalities," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1382, David K. Levine.
- Duffy, John & Papageorgiou, Chris, 2000. " A Cross-Country Empirical Investigation of the Aggregate Production Function Specification," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 87-120, March.
- Jaime Alonso-Carrera & Jordi Caballé & Xavier Raurich, 2005.
"Can consumption spillovers be a source of equilibrium indeterminacy?,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
657.05, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Alonso-Carrera, Jaime & Caballé, Jordi & Raurich, Xavier, 2008. "Can consumption spillovers be a source of equilibrium indeterminacy?," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 2883-2902, September.
- Jaime Alonso-Carrera & Jordi Caballe & Xavier Raurich, 2005. "Can consumption spillovers be a source of equilibrium indeterminacy?," Working Papers 154, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Jaime Alonso-Carrera & Jordi CaballÃ© & Xavier Raurich, 2005. "Can consumption spillovers be a source of equilibrium indeterminacy?," 2005 Meeting Papers 362, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Jaime Alonso-Carrera & Jordi caballe & Xavier Raurich, 2007. "Can Consumption Spillovers Be A Source Of Equilibrium Indeterminacy?," CAMA Working Papers 2007-13, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Francesco Busato & Bruno Charini & Enrico Marchetti, 2004.
"Indeterminacy, Underground Activities and Tax Evasion,"
Economics Working Papers
2004-12, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Busato, Francesco & Chiarini, Bruno & Marchetti, Enrico, 2011. "Indeterminacy, underground activities and tax evasion," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 831-844, May.
- Francesco Busato & Bruno Chiarini & Enrico Marchetti, 2005. "Indeterminacy, Underground Activities and Tax Evasion," Working Papers 289, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Carine Nourry & Thomas Seegmuller & Alain Venditti, 2011.
"Aggregate instability under balanced-budget consumption taxes: a re-examination,"
- Nourry, Carine & Seegmuller, Thomas & Venditti, Alain, 2013. "Aggregate instability under balanced-budget consumption taxes: A re-examination," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 148(5), pages 1977-2006.
- Jang-Ting Guo & Kevin J. Lansing, 2008.
"Capital-Labor Substitution, Equilibrium Indeterminacy, and the Cyclical Behavior of Labor Income,"
200804, University of California at Riverside, Department of Economics, revised Apr 2008.
- Jang-Ting Guo & Kevin J. Lansing, 2008. "Capital-labor substitution, equilibrium indeterminacy, and the cyclical behavior of labor income," Working Paper Series 2008-06, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Kazuo Nishimura & Alain Venditti, 2010.
"Indeterminacy and expectation-driven uctuations with non-separable preferences,"
KIER Working Papers
702, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Nishimura, Kazuo & Venditti, Alain, 2010. "Indeterminacy and expectation-driven fluctuations with non-separable preferences," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 46-56, July.
- Been-Lon Chen & Angus Chu, 2010. "On R&D spillovers, multiple equilibria and indeterminacy," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 100(3), pages 247-263, July.
- Jean-Philippe Garnier, 2013. "Keeping-up with the Joneses, a new source of fluctuations in the two-sector continuous-time models," Working Papers hal-00991664, HAL.
- Francesco Busato & Enrico Marchetti, 2009.
"Endogenous Skill Cycles,"
127, University of Rome La Sapienza, Department of Public Economics.
- Francesco Busato & Enrico Marchetti, 2009.
"Skills, sunspots and cycles,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 97(3), pages 189-215, July.
- Guo, Jang-Ting & Lansing, Kevin J., 2009. "Capital-labor substitution and equilibrium indeterminacy," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(12), pages 1991-2000, December.
- Wong, Tsz-Nga & Yip, Chong K., 2010. "Indeterminacy and the elasticity of substitution in one-sector models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 623-635, April.
- Magris, Francesco, 2012. "Indeterminacy and multiple steady states with sector-specific externalities," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 2664-2672.
- Stefano Bosi & Francesco Magris & Alain Venditti, 2007. "Sunspot Fluctuations in Two-sector Economies with Heterogeneous Agents," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 311-331, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.