Monetary Policy in the Euro Area: Lessons from Five Years of ECB and Implications for Turkey
AbstractWe examine monetary policy in the euro area from both theoretical and empirical perspectives. We discuss what theory tells us the strategy of Central banks should be and contrasts it with the one employed by the ECB. We review accomplishments (and failures) of monetary policy in the euro area and suggest changes that would increase the correlation between words and actions; streamline the understanding that markets have of the policy process; and anchor expectation formation more strongly. We examine the transmission of monetary policy shocks in the euro area and in some potential member countries and try to infer the likely effects occurring when Turkey joins the EU first and the euro area later. Much of the analysis here warns against having too high expectations of the economic gains that membership to the EU and euro club will produce.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 5101.
Date of creation: Jun 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C11 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Bayesian Analysis: General
- E12 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Keynes; Keynesian; Post-Keynesian
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-08-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2005-08-13 (Central Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2005-08-13 (European Economics)
- NEP-FMK-2005-08-13 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-MAC-2005-08-13 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2005-08-13 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Timothy Cogley & Thomas Sargent, .
"Drifts and Volatilities: Monetary Policies and Outcomes in the Post WWII US,"
2133503, Department of Economics, W. P. Carey School of Business, Arizona State University.
- Timothy Cogley & Thomas J. Sargent, 2005. "Drift and Volatilities: Monetary Policies and Outcomes in the Post WWII U.S," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 8(2), pages 262-302, April.
- Timothy Cogley & Thomas J. Sargent, 2003. "Drifts and volatilities: monetary policies and outcomes in the post WWII U.S," Working Paper 2003-25, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Frederic S Mishkin, 2004.
"Can Central Bank Transparency Go Too Far?,"
RBA Annual Conference Volume,
in: Christopher Kent & Simon Guttmann (ed.), The Future of Inflation Targeting
Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Boldrin, Michele & Canova, Fabio, 2003. "Regional Policies and EU Enlargement," CEPR Discussion Papers 3744, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mackowiak, Bartosz, 2006.
"What does the Bank of Japan do to East Asia?,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 253-270, September.
- Marek Jarocinski, 2010.
"Responses to monetary policy shocks in the east and the west of Europe: a comparison,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(5), pages 833-868.
- Marek Jarociński, 2008. "Responses to monetary policy shocks in the east and the west of Europe - a comparison," Working Paper Series 970, European Central Bank.
- Marek Jarocinski, 2004. "Responses to Monetary Policy Shocks in the East and the West of Europe: A Comparison," CASE Network Studies and Analyses 0287, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Marek Jarocinski, 2007. "Responses to Monetary Policy Shocks in the East and the West of Europe: A Comparison," Working Papers 124, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Otmar Issing, 2001. "The Euro Area and the Single Monetary Policy," Working Papers 44, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Gert Peersman, 2004. "The Transmission of Monetary Policy in the Euro Area: Are the Effects Different Across Countries?," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 66(3), pages 285-308, 07.
- Luca Benati, 2003.
"Evolving Post-World War II U.K. Economic Performance,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2003
171, Society for Computational Economics.
- Luca Benati, 2004. "Evolving post-World War II UK economic performance," Bank of England working papers 232, Bank of England.
- Goodhart, Charles & Pappa, Evi, 2003.
"The transition from national currencies to the Euro,"
Open Access publications from London School of Economics and Political Science
http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/, London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Goodhart, Charles & Pappa, Evi, 2003. "The transition from national currencies to the euro," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 83-88, April.
- Gulbin Sahinbeyoglu, 2001. "Monetary Transmission Mechanism : A View From A High Inflationary Environment," Discussion Papers 0101, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Issing, Otmar, 2001. "The Euro Area and the Single Monetary Policy," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(4), pages 277-88, October.
- Fabio Canova, 2003.
"The transmission of US shocks to Latin America,"
Economics Working Papers
925, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jun 2004.
- John M. Roberts, 1994.
"Is inflation sticky?,"
Working Paper Series / Economic Activity Section
152, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bj�rn-Roger Wilhelmsen & Andrea Zaghini, 2011.
"Monetary policy predictability in the euro area: an international comparison,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 43(20), pages 2533-2544.
- Bjørn-Roger Wilhelmsen & Andrea Zaghini, 2005. "Monetary policy predictability in the euro area: an international comparison," Working Paper Series 504, European Central Bank.
- Bjørn-Roger Wilhelmsen & Andrea Zaghini, 2005. "Monetary policy predictability in the euro area: An international comparison," Working Paper 2005/7, Norges Bank.
- Athanasios Orphanides, 2001.
"Monetary policy rules, macroeconomic stability and inflation: a view from the trenches,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2001-62, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Orphanides, Athanasios, 2004. "Monetary Policy Rules, Macroeconomic Stability, and Inflation: A View from the Trenches," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(2), pages 151-75, April.
- Athanasios Orphanides, 2001. "Monetary policy rules, macroeconomic stability and inflation: a view from the trenches," Working Paper Series 115, European Central Bank.
- William Poole, 2001. "Central bank transparency: why and how?," Speech, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- William Poole, 1999. "Communicating the stance of monetary policy," Speech, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Georgy Ganev & Krisztina Molnar & Krzysztof Rybinski & Przemyslaw Wozniak, 2002. "Transmission Mechanism of Monetary Policy in Centraland Eastern Europe," CASE Network Reports 0052, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Murray Sherwin, 1999. "Inflation targeting: 10 years on," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 62, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.