Britain's Return to Gold and Entry into the EMS: Expectations, Joining Conditions and Credibility
AbstractIn this paper the surprising conclusion of Smith and Smith (1990) that the prospect of Britain's return to gold in 1925 had the effect of weakening sterling is subjected to critical analysis. It is shown that this conclusion is reversed when the trend in the UK money stock prior to joining the gold standard is treated as endogenous; and when non-stationary solutions are considered. It is further suggested that a more realistic interpretation of events must involve the use of a model with price inertia. The final section of the paper considers the major difference between the United Kingdom's return to gold and its entry into the EMS, namely, the current lack of credibility attached to an exchange rate peg for sterling.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 465.
Date of creation: Oct 1990
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Driffill, John & Sola, Martin, 2006.
"Target zones for exchange rates and policy changes,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 912-931, October.
- John Driffill (Birkbeck College) & Martin Sola (UTDT), 2005. "Target Zones for Exchange Rates and Policy Changes," Department of Economics Working Papers 2005-03, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Jean-Sébastien Pentecôte & Marc-Alexandre Sénégas, 2003.
"Comment fixer les cours de change?. Annonces et correspondances maastrichtiennes,"
Recherches économiques de Louvain,
De Boeck Université, vol. 69(1), pages 39-71.
- Jean-Sébastien PENTECOTE & Marc-Alexandre SENEGAS, 2003. "Comment fixer les cours de change? Annonces et correspondances maastrichtiennes," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 2003012, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Eichengreen, Barry, 1993.
"The Endogeneity of Exchange Rate Regimes,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
812, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.