A Guided Tour of the Market Microstructure Approach to Exchange Rate Determination
AbstractWe propose a critical review of recent developments in exchange rate economics. This new strand of research is motivated by some very stark empirical evidence, relating exchange rate returns to order flow. Plenty of empirical evidence shows that order flow, i.e. the imbalance in the sequence of purchases and sales of foreign currencies in the markets for foreign exchange, is an extremely powerful determinant of short-run exchange rate movements. With a simplified analytical framework we see how, according to the rational expectation paradigm of asset pricing, such a relation reflects liquidity and information effects of portfolios shifts.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 4530.
Date of creation: Aug 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
- Paolo Vitale, 2007. "A Guided Tour Of The Market Microstructure Approach To Exchange Rate Determination," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(5), pages 903-934, December.
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-02-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-FIN-2005-02-13 (Finance)
- NEP-FMK-2005-02-13 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-IFN-2005-02-13 (International Finance)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Antonio Scalia, 2006.
"Is foreign exchange intervention effective? Some micro-analytical evidence from the Czech Republic,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
579, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Scalia, Antonio, 2008. "Is foreign exchange intervention effective? Some microanalytical evidence from the Czech Republic," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 529-546, June.
- Vitale, Paolo, 2006.
"A market microstructure analysis of foreign exchange intervention,"
Working Paper Series
0629, European Central Bank.
- Vitale, Paolo, 2006. "A Market Microstructure Analysis of Foreign Exchange Intervention," CEPR Discussion Papers 5468, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael Frömmel & Norbert Kiss M. & Klára Pintér, 2011.
"Macroeconomic announcements, communication and order flow on the Hungarian foreign exchange market,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(2), pages 172-188, 04.
- Michael Frömmel & Norbert Kiss M. & Klára Pintér, 2009. "Macroeconomic announcements, communication and order flow on the Hungarian foreign exchange market," MNB Working Papers 2009/3, Magyar Nemzeti Bank (the central bank of Hungary).
- M. Frömmel & N. Kiss M & K. Pintér, 2009. "Macroeconomic announcements, communication and order flow on the Hungarian foreign exchange market," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 09/626, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Müller-Plantenberg, Nikolas A., 2010. "Balance of payments accounting and exchange rate dynamics," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 46-63, January.
- Müller-Plantenberg, Nikolas, 2012. "Boom-and-bust cycles marked by capital inflows, current account deterioration and a rise and fall of the real exchange rate," Working Papers in Economic Theory 2012/10, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Spain), Department of Economic Analysis (Economic Theory and Economic History).
- Müller-Plantenberg, Nikolas, 2012. "Balance of payments flows and exchange rate prediction in Japan," Working Papers in Economic Theory 2012/09, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Spain), Department of Economic Analysis (Economic Theory and Economic History).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.