Railway (De)Regulation: A European Efficiency Comparison
AbstractMany European countries have sought to increase the efficiency of national railroad companies through a range of reforms: separating infrastructure and operations, creating independent regulatory institutions and providing access to the network to third parties. To estimate the effects of reforms on railroad efficiency, we investigate a new World Bank panel dataset that covers many EU countries over a period of 20 years. We compare the passenger traffic efficiency of national railroad companies by means of a production frontier model and evaluate the effects of reforms on efficiency. We find that reforms have efficiency-increasing effects but that the effect of reforms depends on sequencing: the introduction of multiple reforms in a package has at best neutral effects, but sequential reforms improve efficiency. Using the LISREL technique, we find that our results are robust against potential problems of endogeneity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 4319.
Date of creation: Mar 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
- Friebel, Guido & Ivaldi, Marc & Vibes, Catherine, 2003. "Railway (De) Regulation : A European Efficiency Comparison," IDEI Working Papers 221, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised 2007.
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-06-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2004-06-13 (European Economics)
- NEP-REG-2004-06-13 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vickers, John, 1995. "Competition and Regulation in Vertically Related Markets," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(1), pages 1-17, January.
- Nicoletti, Giuseppe & Scarpetta, Stefano, 2003.
"Regulation, productivity, and growth : OECD evidence,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2944, The World Bank.
- Giuseppe Nicoletti & Stefano Scarpetta, 2003. "Regulation, productivity and growth: OECD evidence," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 18(36), pages 9-72, 04.
- Giuseppe Nicoletti & Stefano Scarpetta, 2003. "Regulation, Productivity and Growth: OECD Evidence," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 347, OECD Publishing.
- Gathon, H. -J. & Pestieau, P., 1995.
"Decomposing efficiency into its managerial and its regulatory components: The case of European railways,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 500-507, February.
- Gathon, H.-J. & Pestieau, P., . "Decomposing efficiency into its managerial and its regulatory components: The case of European railways," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1133, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Pedro Cantos & José Pastor & Lorenzo Serrano, 1999. "Productivity, efficiency and technical change in the European railways: A non-parametric approach," Transportation, Springer, vol. 26(4), pages 337-357, November.
- Stephen P. King, 1999. "Price Discrimination, Separation and Access: Protecting Competition or Protecting Competitors?," Australian Journal of Management, Australian School of Business, vol. 24(1), pages 21-35, June.
- Coelli, Tim & Perelman, Sergio, 1999. "A comparison of parametric and non-parametric distance functions: With application to European railways," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 326-339, September.
- Ng, Charles K & Seabright, Paul, 2001. "Competition, Privatisation and Productive Efficiency: Evidence from the Airline Industry," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(473), pages 591-619, July.
- Ivaldi, Marc & Monier-Dilhan, Sylvette & Simioni, Michel, 1995. "Stochastic production frontiers and panel data: A latent variable framework," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 534-547, February.
- Estache, Antonio & Serebrisky, Tomas, 2004.
"Where do we stand on transport infrastructure deregulation and public-private partnership?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3356, The World Bank.
- Antonio Estache & Tomas Serebrisky, 2004. "Where do We Stand on Transport Infrastructure Deregulation and Public-Private Partnerships?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/44096, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Subal Kumbhakar & Luis Orea & Ana Rodríguez-Álvarez & Efthymios Tsionas, 2007. "Do we estimate an input or an output distance function? An application of the mixture approach to European railways," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 87-100, April.
- Mette Asmild & Torben Holvad & Jens Leth Hougaard & Dorte Kronborg, 2008.
"Railway reforms: Do they influence operating efficiency?,"
08-05, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Mette Asmild & Torben Holvad & Jens Hougaard & Dorte Kronborg, 2009. "Railway reforms: do they influence operating efficiency?," Transportation, Springer, vol. 36(5), pages 617-638, September.
- Pavlyuk, Dmitry, 2008. "An Efficiency Analysis of European Countries' Railways," MPRA Paper 20922, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Beria, Paolo & Quinet, Emile & de Rus, Gines & Schulz, Carola, 2012.
"A comparison of rail liberalisation levels across four European countries,"
Research in Transportation Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 110-120.
- Beria, Paolo & Quinet, Emile & de Rus, Gines & Schulz, Carola, 2010. "A comparison of rail liberalisation levels across four European countries," MPRA Paper 29142, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Antonio Couto & Daniel Graham, 2008. "The contributions of technical and allocative efficiency to the economic performance of European railways," Portuguese Economic Journal, Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 125-153, August.
- Jan van der Linden, 2005.
"Planning Paper 98 - Réforme de marché dans les industries de réseau en Belgique
[Planning Paper 98 - Markthervorming in netwerkindustrieën in België]," Planning Papers 98, Federal Planning Bureau, Belgium.
- Thomas Ehrmann & Karl-Hans Hartwig & Torsten Marner & Hendrik Schmale, 2009. "Specific Investments and Ownership Structures in Railways – An Experimental Analysis," Working Papers 12, Institute of Transport Economics, University of Muenster.
- Gertjan Driessen & Mark Lijesen & Machiel Mulder, 2006. "The impact of competition on productive efficiency in European railways," CPB Discussion Paper 71, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Lalive, Rafael & Schmutzler, Armin, 2005. "Competition for Railway Markets: The Case of Baden-Württemberg," CEPR Discussion Papers 5396, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Christian Growitsch & Heike Wetzel, 2006.
"Economies of Scope in European Railways: An Efficiency Analysis,"
IWH Discussion Papers
5, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Christian Growitsch & Heike Wetzel, 2006. "Economies of Scope in European Railways: An Efficiency Analysis," Working Paper Series in Economics 29, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Guido Friebel & Sergei Guriev & Russell Pittman & Elizaveta Shevyakhova & Anna Tomov�, 2006.
"Railroad Restructuring in Russia and Central and Eastern Europe: One Solution for All Problems?,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(3), pages 251-271, August.
- Russell Pittman & Sergei Guriev & Guido Friebel & Anna Tomova & Elizaveta Cheviakhova, 2005. "Railroad Restructuring in Russia and Central and Eastern Europe: One Solution for All Problems?," Industrial Organization 0504021, EconWPA.
- repec:fpb:wpaper:98 is not listed on IDEAS
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.