Defining Benchmark Status: An Application using Euro-Area Bonds
AbstractThe introduction of the euro on 1 January 1999 created the conditions for an integrated government bond market in the euro area. Using a unique data set from the electronic trading platform Euro-MTS, we consider what is the ‘benchmark’ in this market. We develop and apply two definitions of benchmark status that differ from the conventional view that the benchmark is the security with lowest yield at a given maturity. Using Granger-causality and cointegration methods, we find a complex pattern of benchmark status in euro-area government bonds.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 3490.
Date of creation: Aug 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
- Peter G. Dunne & Michael J. Moore & Richard Portes, 2002. "Defining Benchmark Status: An Application using Euro-Area Bonds," NBER Working Papers 9087, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- H63 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - Debt; Debt Management; Sovereign Debt
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-03-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2003-03-14 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-RMG-2003-03-14 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Davidson, James, 1998. "Structural relations, cointegration and identification: some simple results and their application," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 87-113, August.
- Antonio Scalia & Valerio Vacca, 1999.
"Does Market Transparency Matter? A Case Study,"
CGFS Papers chapters,
in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Market Liquidity: Research Findings and Selected Policy Implications, volume 11, pages 1-27
Bank for International Settlements.
- Vacca, V. & Scalia, A., 1999. "Does Market Transparency Matter? A Case Study," Papers 359, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Antonio Scalia & Valerio Vacca, 1999. "Does Market Transparency Matter? a Case Study," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 359, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Gabriele Galati & Kostas Tsatsaronis, 2001. "The impact of the euro on Europe's financial markets," BIS Working Papers 100, Bank for International Settlements.
- Barassi, Marco R & Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Hall, Stephen G, 2001. "Irreducibility and Structural Cointegrating Relations: An Application to the G-7 Long-Term Interest Rates," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(2), pages 127-38, April.
- Roberto Blanco, 2001. "The Euro-Area Government Securities Markets. Recent Developments and Implications for Market Functioning," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0120, Banco de Espa�a.
- Robert N McCauley, 1999. "The Euro and the Liquidity of European Fixed Income Markets," CGFS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Market Liquidity: Research Findings and Selected Policy Implications, volume 11, pages 1-26 Bank for International Settlements.
- Roberto Blanco, 2002. "Euro area government securities markets: recent developments and implications for market functioning," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Market functioning and central bank policy, volume 12, pages 65-85 Bank for International Settlements.
- Marco Barassi & Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Stephen Hall, 2005. "Interest rate linkages: identifying structural relations," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(14), pages 977-986.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Missale, Alessandro, 1999. "Public Debt Management," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198290858.
- repec:fth:diecpo:359 is not listed on IDEAS
- Carlo Favero & Marco Pagano & Ernst-Ludwig von Thadden, 2005. "Valutation, Liquidity and Risk in Government Bond Markets," Working Papers 281, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Favero, Carlo & Pagano, Marco & von Thadden, Ernst-Ludwig, 2010.
"How Does Liquidity Affect Government Bond Yields?,"
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 45(01), pages 107-134, February.
- Favero, Carlo A & Pagano, Marco & von Thadden, Ernst-Ludwig, 2008. "How Does Liquidity Affect Government Bond Yields?," CEPR Discussion Papers 6649, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Carlo Favero & Marco Pagano & Ernst-Ludwig von Thadden, 2007. "How Does Liquidity Affect Government Bond Yields?," Working Papers 323, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Menkveld, Albert J. & Cheung, Yiu Chung & de Jong, Frank, 2004.
"Euro area sovereign yield dynamics: the role of order imbalance,"
Working Paper Series
0385, European Central Bank.
- Menkveld, Albert J. & Cheung, Yiu C. & Jong, Frank de, 2006. "Euro-Area Sovereign Yield Dynamics: the role of order imbalance," Serie Research Memoranda 0006, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Marta Gómez-Puig, 2007.
"EU-15 sovereign governments' cost of borrowing after seven years of Monetary Union,"
07-03, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- Marta Gomez-Puig, 2007. "Eu-15 Sovereign Governments Cost Of Borrowing After Seven Years Of Monetary Union," IREA Working Papers 200711, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised May 2007.
- Sergio Mayordomo & Juan Ignacio Peña & Eduardo S. Schwartz, 2009. "Towards a Common European Monetary Union Risk Free Rate," NBER Working Papers 15353, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stefano Schiavo, 2005.
"Euro bonds: in search of financial spillovers,"
Sciences Po publications
2, Sciences Po.
- Kleimeier,Stefanie & Sander,Harald, 2005.
"Regional Versus Global Integration of Euro Zone Retail Banking Markets: Understanding the Recent Evidence from Price-Based Integration Measures,"
031, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Kleimeier, Stefanie & Sander, Harald, 2006. "Regional versus global integration of euro-zone retail banking markets: Understanding the recent evidence from price-based integration measures," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 353-368, July.
- Alessandro Beber & Michael W. Brandt & Kenneth A. Kavajecz, 2009.
"Flight-to-Quality or Flight-to-Liquidity? Evidence from the Euro-Area Bond Market,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(3), pages 925-957, March.
- Alessandro Beber & Michael W. Brandt & Kenneth A. Kavajecz, 2006. "Flight-to-Quality or Flight-to-Liquidity? Evidence From the Euro-Area Bond Market," NBER Working Papers 12376, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:ner:carlos:info:hdl:10016/9168 is not listed on IDEAS
- Coluzzi, Chiara & Ginebri, Sergio & Turco, Manuel, 2008. "Measuring and Analyzing the Liquidity of the Italian Treasury Security Wholesale Secondary Market," Economics & Statistics Discussion Papers esdp08044, University of Molise, Dept. SEGeS.
- repec:sef:csefwp:181 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dimitris A. Georgoutsos & Petros M. Migiakis, 2009. "Benchmark bonds interactions under regime shifts," Working Papers 103, Bank of Greece.
- Lucjan T. Orlowski & Kirsten Lommatzsch, 2005. "Bond Yield Compression in the Countries Converging to the Euro," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp799, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.