International Evidence on Ethical Mutual Fund Performance and Investment Style
AbstractUsing an international database containing 103 German, UK and US ethical mutual funds, we review and extend previous research on ethical mutual fund performance. By applying a multi-factor Carhart (1997) model we solve the benchmark problem most prior ethical studies suffered from. After controlling for investment style, we find little evidence of significant differences in risk-adjusted returns between ethical and conventional funds for the 1990-2001 period. Introducing time variation in betas however leads to a significant under-performance of domestic US funds and a significant out-performance of UK ethical funds, relative to their conventional peers. Finally, we differentiate previous results by documenting a learning effect. After a period of strong under-performance, older ethical funds finally are catching up, while younger funds continue to under-perform both the index and conventional peers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 3452.
Date of creation: Jul 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- G20 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - General
- G23 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Non-bank Financial Institutions; Financial Instruments; Institutional Investors
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Derwall, J. & Günster, N.K. & Bauer, R. & Koedijk, C.G., 2004. "The Eco-Efficiency Premium Puzzle," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2004-043-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Becchetti, Leonardo, 2011.
"Voting with the Wallet,"
AICCON Working Papers
94-2011, Associazione Italiana per la Cultura della Cooperazione e del Non Profit.
- William Martin, 2009. "Socially Responsible Investing: Is Your Fiduciary Duty at Risk?," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 90(4), pages 549-560, December.
- James Brander, 2006. "The Effect of Ethical Fund Portfolio Inclusion on Executive Compensation," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 69(4), pages 317-329, December.
- Leonardo Becchetti & Rocco Ciciretti, 2009.
"Corporate social responsibility and stock market performance,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(16), pages 1283-1293.
- Leonardo Becchetti & Rocco Ciciretti, 2006. "Corporate Social Responsibility and Stock Market Performance," CEIS Research Paper 79, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 22 Mar 2006.
- Schröder, Michael, 2003. "Socially Responsible Investments in Germany, Switzerland and the United States: An Analysis of Investment Funds and Indices," ZEW Discussion Papers 03-10, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Stephen Fowler & C. Hope, 2007. "A Critical Review of Sustainable Business Indices and their Impact," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 76(3), pages 243-252, December.
- Becchetti, Leonardo & Ceniccola, Claudia & Ciciretti, Rocco, 2010. "Stock Market Reaction to the Global Financial Crisis: the Role of Corporate Governance and Product Quality Ratings in the Lehman Brothers' Event," Sustainable Investment and Corporate Governance Working Papers 2010/14, Sustainable Investment Research Platform.
- Becchetti, Leonardo & Ciciretti, Rocco & Hasan, Iftekhar & Kobeissi, Nada, 2012. "Corporate social responsibility and shareholder's value," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(11), pages 1628-1635.
- Sanchez, Pablo & Rodriguez, Miguel A. & Ricart, Joan E., 2002. "Inversión socialmente responsable: evolución, tendencias e implicaciones para la dirección de las empresas, La," IESE Research Papers D/464, IESE Business School.
- Angeles Fernandez-Izquierdo & Juan Matallin-Saez, 2008. "Performance of Ethical Mutual Funds in Spain: Sacrifice or Premium?," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 81(2), pages 247-260, August.
- Eric Keuleneer, 2006. "Investing in sustainability: Delusions and potential benefits of socially responsible investing," International Review on Public and Nonprofit Marketing, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 29-48, June.
- Becchetti , Leonardo & Ciciretti , Rocco & Hasan, Iftekhar, 2009.
"Corporate social responsibility and shareholder's value: an empirical analysis,"
Research Discussion Papers
1/2009, Bank of Finland.
- Leonardo Becchetti & Rocco Ciciretti & Iftekhar Hasan, 2007. "Corporate social responsibility and shareholder's value: an event study analysis," Working Paper 2007-06, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.