Evaluating Style Analysis
AbstractIn this Paper we evaluate (return based) style analysis. The portfolio and positivity constraints imposed by style analysis are useful in constructing mimicking factor portfolios without short positions. We use a simple simulation experiment to show that imposing these constraints in estimating the factor portfolios leads to significant efficiency gains, if the factor loadings are indeed positively weighted portfolios. If this is not the case though, imposing the constraints can substantially bias the exposure estimates. We also show that the actual portfolio holdings will in general not reveal the actual investment style of a fund because of cross exposures between the asset classes, and because fund managers may hold securities that on average do not have a beta of one relative to their own asset class. Style analysis may be used to determine a benchmark portfolio for performance measurement. If the actual exposures are a positively weighted portfolio and if the risk free rate is one of the benchmarks, then the intercept coincides with the Jensen measure. In general, the intercept in the style regression can only be interpreted as a special case of the familiar Jensen measure.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 3181.
Date of creation: Jan 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
- Roon, F.A. de & Nijman, T.E. & Horst, J.R. ter, 2000. "Evaluating Style Analysis," Discussion Paper 2000-64, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Horst, J.R. ter & Nijman, T.E. & Roon, F.A. de, 2004. "Evaluating style analysis," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-123840, Tilburg University.
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-03-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2003-03-14 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-RMG-2003-03-14 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Russ Wermers, 2000. "Mutual Fund Performance: An Empirical Decomposition into Stock-Picking Talent, Style, Transactions Costs, and Expenses," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(4), pages 1655-1703, 08.
- Nijman, T.E. & Roon, F.A. de, 2001.
"Testing for mean-variance spanning: A survey,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-87531, Tilburg University.
- Jobson, J D & Korkie, Bob, 1984. " On the Jensen Measure and Marginal Improvements in Portfolio Performance: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(1), pages 245-51, March.
- Huberman, Gur & Kandel, Shmuel & Stambaugh, Robert F, 1987. " Mimicking Portfolios and Exact Arbitrage Pricing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(1), pages 1-9, March.
- Horst, J.R. ter & Nijman, T.E. & Roon, F.A. de, 1998. "Performance analysis of international mutual funds incorporating market frictions," Discussion Paper 1998-51, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Fung, William & Hsieh, David A, 1997. "Empirical Characteristics of Dynamic Trading Strategies: The Case of Hedge Funds," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(2), pages 275-302.
- Tae-Hwan Kim, 2005.
"Asymptotic and Bayesian Confidence Intervals for Sharpe-Style Weights,"
Journal of Financial Econometrics,
Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 3(3), pages 315-343.
- Kim, Tae-Hwan & White, Halbert & Stone, Douglas, 2000. "Asymptotic and Bayesian Confidence Intervals for Sharpe Style Weights," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt5h98h28m, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Treynor, Jack L & Black, Fischer, 1973. "How to Use Security Analysis to Improve Portfolio Selection," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 46(1), pages 66-86, January.
- Elton, Edwin J & Gruber, Martin J & Blake, Christopher R, 1996. "The Persistence of Risk-Adjusted Mutual Fund Performance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 69(2), pages 133-57, April.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Goetzmann, William N., 1997.
"Mutual fund styles,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 373-399, March.
- Cumby, Robert E & Glen, Jack D, 1990. " Evaluating the Performance of International Mutual Funds," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(2), pages 497-521, June.
- Donald W. K. Andrews, 1999. "Estimation When a Parameter Is on a Boundary," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(6), pages 1341-1384, November.
- Beck, Thorsten & De Jonghe, Olivier, 2013. "Lending concentration, bank performance and systemic risk : exploring cross-country variation," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6604, The World Bank.
- Arjen Siegmann & Andr� Lucas, 2002. "Explaining Hedge Fund Investment Styles by Loss Aversion," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 02-046/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Geetesh Bhardwaj & Gary B. Gorton & K. Geert Rouwenhorst, 2008.
"Fooling Some of the People All of the Time: The Inefficient Performance and Persistence of Commodity Trading Advisors,"
NBER Working Papers
14424, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Geetesh Bhardwaj & Gary Gorton & K. Rouwenhorst, 2008. "Fooling Some of the People All of the Time: The Inefficient Performance and Persistence of Commodity Trading Advisors," Yale School of Management Working Papers amz2429, Yale School of Management.
- Laurens Swinkels, Pieter Jelle VanDerSluis, 2001.
"Return-based Style Analysis with Time-varying Exposures,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2001
125, Society for Computational Economics.
- Laurens Swinkels & Pieter Van Der Sluis, 2006. "Return-based style analysis with time-varying exposures," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(6-7), pages 529-552.
- Swinkels, L.A.P. & Sluis, P.J. van der, 2001. "Return-Based Style Analysis with Time-Varying Exposures," Discussion Paper 2001-96, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Enrique Sentana, 2008.
"The Econometrics Of Mean-Variance Efficiency Tests: A Survey,"
- Enrique Sentana, 2009. "The econometrics of mean-variance efficiency tests: a survey," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 12(3), pages C65-C101, November.
- Renneboog, L.D.R. & Horst, J.R. ter & Zhang, C., 2007. "Socially Responsible Investments: Methodology, Risk Exposure and Performance," Discussion Paper 2007-013, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Lau, Wee Yeap & Chan, Tze-Haw, 2004. "Does Misclassification of Equity Funds Exist? Evidence from Malaysia," MPRA Paper 2029, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2005.
- Renneboog, L.D.R. & Horst, J.R. ter & Zhang, C., 2007. "Socially Responsible Investments: Methodology, Risk and Performance," Discussion Paper 2007-31, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Ferruz Agudo, Luis & Vicente Gimeno, Luis A., 2005. "Are Style Factors exclusive, exhaustive and independent in Spanish Domestic Equity Funds?/¿Son los factores de estilo exclusivos, exhaustivos e independientes en los fondos de inversión españoles d," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 23, pages 495-506, Agosto.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.