Competition Enhancing Policies and Infrastructure: Evidence from Russia
AbstractThis Paper investigates whether the efficiency effect of product market dispersion is a function of the infrastructural and policy environment. We hypothesise that more developed transportation and communication infrastructure and lower government regulation may reduce transaction costs, intensifying the competition associated with a given market structure, and we use data from the recently liberalized and regionally diverse country of Russia to test the hypothesis. Estimating translog production functions on a large 1992-99 panel of manufacturing firms, we find that the efficiency impact of market dispersion varies positively with the regional density of highway, railroad and telephone infrastructure, but negatively with regional price regulation and the share of votes received by the Communist Party.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 3022.
Date of creation: Oct 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H54 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Infrastructures
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
- L50 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - General
- P23 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - Factor and Product Markets; Industry Studies; Population
- P31 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - Socialist Enterprises and Their Transitions
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aghion, Ph. & Dewatripont, M. & Rey, P., 1997.
"Corporate governance, competition policy and industrial policy,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 797-805, April.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Philippe Aghion & Patrick Rey, 1997. "Corporate governance, competition policy and industrial policy," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9613, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Demetriades, Panicos O & Mamuneas, Theofanis P, 2000. "Intertemporal Output and Employment Effects of Public Infrastructure Capital: Evidence from 12 OECD Economics," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(465), pages 687-712, July.
- Norton, Seth W, 1992. "Transaction Costs, Telecommunications, and the Microeconomics of Macroeconomic Growth," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 41(1), pages 175-96, October.
- Nickell, S.J., 1993.
"Competition and Crporate Performance,"
Economics Series Working Papers
99155, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Costas MEGHIR & Annette RYAN & John VAN REENEN, 1996. "Job Creation, Technological Innovation and Adjustment Costs: Evidence from a Panel of British Firms," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 41-42, pages 255-274.
- Philippe Aghion & Mark Schankerman, 1999. "Competition, entry and the social returns to infrastructure in transition economies," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 7(1), pages 79-101, March.
- S. Baranzoni & P. Bianchi & L. Lambertini, 2000. "Market Structure," Working Papers 368, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- N Dryden & Stephen Nickell & D Nicolitsas, 1996.
"What Makes Firms Perform Well?,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0308, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- David BLANCHFLOWER & Stephen MACHIN, 1996.
"Product Market Competition Wages and Productivity: International Evidence from Establishment-Level Data,"
Annales d'Economie et de Statistique,
ENSAE, issue 41-42, pages 219-253.
- David Blanchflower & Stephen Machin, 1996. "Product Market Competition Wages and Productivity: International Evidence from Establishment-Level Data," CEP Discussion Papers dp0286, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Demsetz, Harold, 1973. "Industry Structure, Market Rivalry, and Public Policy," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 1-9, April.
- Olivier Blanchard & Michael Kremer, 1997.
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
38, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- M. Ishaq Nadiri & Theofanis P. Mamuneas, 1994.
"The Effects of Public Infrastructure and R&D Capital on the Cost Structure and Performance of U.S. Manufacturing Industries,"
NBER Working Papers
3887, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nadiri, M Ishaq & Mamuneas, Theofanis P, 1994. "The Effects of Public Infrastructure and R&D Capital on the Cost Structure and Performance of U.S. Manufacturing Industries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(1), pages 22-37, February.
- Nadiri, M. Ishaq & Mamuneas, Theofanis P., 1991. "The Effects of Public Infrastructure and R&D Capital on the Cost Structure and Performance of U.S. Manufacturing Industries," Working Papers 91-57, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Berkowitz, Daniel & DeJong, David N., 1999.
"Russia's internal border,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 633-649, September.
- Hay, Donald A & Liu, Guy S, 1997. "The Efficiency of Firms: What Difference Does Competition Make?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(442), pages 597-617, May.
- Aghion, Philippe & Schankerman, Mark, 2000. "A Model Of Market-Enhancing Infrastructure," CEPR Discussion Papers 2462, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Aghion, Philippe & Schankerman, Mark, 1999. "Competition, Entry, and the Social Returns to Infrastructure in Transition Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 2052, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Demurger, Sylvie, 2001. "Infrastructure Development and Economic Growth: An Explanation for Regional Disparities in China?," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 95-117, March.
- Haaparanta, Pertti & Juurikkala, Tuuli & Lazareva, Olga & Pirttilä, Jukka & Solanko, Laura & Zhuravskaya, Ekaterina, 2003.
"Firms and public service provision in Russia,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
16/2003, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Pertti Haaparanta & Tuuli Juurikkala & Olga Lazareva & Jukka Pirttila & Laura Solanko & Ekaterina Zhuravskaya, 2003. "Firms And Public Service Provision In Russia," Working Papers w0041, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Pertti Haaparanta & Tuuli Juurikkala & Olga Lazareva & Ekaterina Zhuravskaya & Jukka Pirttilä & Laura Solanko, 2004. "Firms and public service provision in Russia," Macroeconomics 0401015, EconWPA.
- Bezlepkina, Irina V. & Oude Lansink, Alfons G.J.M., 2003. "Liquidity And Productivity In Russian Agriculture: Farm-Data Evidence," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25824, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bezlepkina, Irina V., 2002. "What is Behind the Fall in Russian Agricultural Production?," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24785, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Ariane Lambert-Mogiliansky & Konstantin Sonin & Ekaterina Zhuravskaya, 2003. "Capture of Bankruptcy: Theory and Russian Evidence," Working Papers w0038, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Robert Feinberg & Mieke Meurs, 2005. "Market Reform, Infrastructure and Exchange Rate Passthrough in Central and Eastern Europe," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(1), pages 21-32.
- Bezlepkina Irina, 2003. "Production Performance in Russian Regions: Farm Level Analysis," EERC Working Paper Series 01-034e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Carlin, Wendy & Schaffer, Mark & Seabright, Paul, 2003. "Infrastructure, Competition and Innovation : New Survey Evidence from Transition," IDEI Working Papers 243, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.