Did the EMS Reduce the Cost of Capital?
AbstractWe propose a dynamic APT multi-factor model with time-varying volatility for currency, bond and stock returns for ten European countries over the period 1977-1997. We exploit the cross-sectional dimension of the model to construct world portfolios, which, when added to the original list of assets, allow us to develop simple consistent methods of estimation and testing. Our results reject the implicit asset pricing restrictions, and suggest that decreases in idiosyncratic exchange rate risk tend to lower the cost of capital, although the effect is small. Finally, we assess the potential gains from increased stock market integration.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 2640.
Date of creation: Dec 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
- F30 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - General
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lieven Moor & Piet Sercu, 2010. "Country v sector effects in equity returns and the roles of geographical and firm-size coverage," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 35(4), pages 433-448, November.
- Raj Aggarwal & Brian M. Lucey & Cal Muckley, 2004. "Dynamics of Equity Market Integration in Europe: Evidence of Changes over time and with events," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp019, IIIS.
- Antonio Diez de los Rios, 2004.
"Exchange Rate Regimes, Globalisation And The Cost Of Capital In Emerging Markets,"
- de los Rios, Antonio Diez, 2009. "Exchange rate regimes, globalisation, and the cost of capital in emerging markets," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 311-330, December.
- Antonio Diez de los Rios, 2007. "Exchange Rate Regimes, Globalisation, and the Cost of Capital in Emerging Markets," Working Papers 07-29, Bank of Canada.
- Antonio Díez de los Ríos, 2003. "Exchange Rate Regimes, Globalisation and the Cost of Capital in Emerging Markets," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2003/51, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Arie Melnik & Doron Nissim, 2004. "Liquidity and Issue Costs in Eurobond Market: The Effects of Market Integration," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2004 48, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Tomas Dvorak & Chris R. A. Geiregat, 2004. "Are the new and old EU countries financially integrated?," Department of Economics Working Papers 2004-09, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Arie Melnik & Doron Nissim, 2004. "Liquidity and Issue Costs in the Eurobond Market: the Effects of Market Integration," ICER Working Papers 03-2004, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Richard Podpiera & TomÃ¡s DvorÃ¡k, 2005.
"European Union Enlargement and Equity Markets in Accession Countries,"
IMF Working Papers
05/182, International Monetary Fund.
- Dvorak, Tomas & Podpiera, Richard, 2006. "European Union enlargement and equity markets in accession countries," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 129-146, June.
- Dvorak, Tomas & Podpiera, Richard, 2005. "European Union enlargement and equity markets in accession countries," Working Paper Series 0552, European Central Bank.
- Melnik, Arie & Nissim, Doron, 2006. "Issue costs in the Eurobond market: The effects of market integration," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 157-177, January.
- Bris, Arturo & Koskinen, Yrjö & Nilsson, Mattias, 2003.
"The Euro and Corporate Valuations,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
525, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 06 Dec 2003.
- Kearney, Colm & Lucey, Brian M., 2004. "International equity market integration: Theory, evidence and implications," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 571-583.
- De Moor, Lieven & Sercu, Piet, 2011. "Country versus sector factors in equity returns: The roles of non-unit exposures," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 64-77, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.