On the Real Effects of Monetary Policy: A Central Banker's View
AbstractThis paper is an attempt to provide an updated assessment of what we know and what do not know about the impact of monetary policy on the economy and what implications follow for the conduct of monetary policy in today's world. Firstly, we discuss the conditions under which monetary policy can be expected to affect the economy, both over the medium term and the short term, and review the most policy-relevant empirical results, providing some new evidence. Secondly, we analyze the implications that the empirical regularities have for the practical conduct of monetary policy. We focus on whether the existence of short-run real effects can and should be exploited by central banks and whether the impact of monetary policy on the economy may be affected by the present circumstances of low rates of inflation and low nominal interest rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 2241.
Date of creation: Sep 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E50 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - General
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Buiter, Willem H, 2000. "Monetary Misconceptions: New and Old Paradigmata and Other Sad Tales," CEPR Discussion Papers 2365, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Laurent Bouscharain, 2001. "Quelle convergence des règles de politique monétaire en Europe avant l’euro ?," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 147(1), pages 159-169.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.