Deviations of Exchange Rates from Purchasing Power Parity: A Story Featuring Two Monetary Unions
AbstractWe examine the mean-reverting properties of real exchange rates, by comparing the unit root properties of a group of international real exchange rates with two groups of intra-national real exchange rates. Strikingly, we find that while the international real rates taken as a group are mean-reverting, the intra-national rates are not. This is consistent with the view that while monetary shocks may be mean-reverting over the medium-term, underlying real factors do generate long-term trends in real exchange rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 1932.
Date of creation: Jul 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
- Tamim Bayoumi & Ronald MacDonald, 1999. "Deviations of Exchange Rates from Purchasing Power Parity: A Story Featuring Two Monetary Unions," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 46(1), pages 5.
- Ronald MacDonald & Tamim Bayoumi, 1998. "Deviations of Exchange Rates from Purchasing Power Parity - A Story Featuring Two Monetary Unions," IMF Working Papers 98/69, International Monetary Fund.
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yihui Lan, 2001. "The Explosion of Purchasing Power Parity," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 01-22, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Enrique Alberola, 2005.
"Misalignment, Liabilities Dollarization And Exchange Rate Adjustment In Latin America,"
- Enrique Alberola, 2003. "Misalignment, liabilities dollarization and exchange rate adjustment in Latin America," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0309, Banco de Espa�a.
- Ronald MacDonald, 2000. "The role of the exchange rate in economic growth: a euro-zone perspective," Working Paper Research 09, National Bank of Belgium.
- Dimitrios Sideris, 2004.
"Testing for Long-Run PPP in a System Context: Evidence for the US, Germany and Japan,"
19, Bank of Greece.
- Sideris, Dimitrios, 2006. "Testing for long-run PPP in a system context: Evidence for the US, Germany and Japan," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 143-154, April.
- Susana Garcia Cervero & J. Humberto Lopez & Enrique Alberola Ila & Angel J. Ubide, 1999.
"Global Equilibrium Exchange Rates - Euro, Dollar, "Ins," "Outs," and Other Major Currencies in a Panel Cointegration Framework,"
IMF Working Papers
99/175, International Monetary Fund.
- Enrique Alberola & Susana G. Cervero & Humberto Lopez & Angel Ubide, 2000. "Global Equilibrium Exchange Rates: Euro, Dollar, "Ins," "Outs," and Other Major Currencies in a Panel Cointegration Framework," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0051, Econometric Society.
- Enrique Alberola & Daniel Navia, 2007. "Equilibrium exchange rates in the new EU members: external imbalances vs. real convergence," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0708, Banco de Espa�a.
- Sophocles N. Brissimis & Dimitris A. Sideris & Fragiska K. Voumvaki, 2004.
"Testing Long-Run Purchasing Power Parity under Exchange Rate Targeting,"
15, Bank of Greece.
- Brissimis, Sophocles N. & Sideris, Dimitris A. & Voumvaki, Fragiska K., 2005. "Testing long-run purchasing power parity under exchange rate targeting," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 959-981, October.
- Anindya Banerjee & Massimiliano Marcellino & Chiara Osbat, 2005.
"Testing for PPP: Should we use panel methods?,"
Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 77-91, January.
- Banerjee, Anindya & Massimiliano Marcellino & Chiara Osbat, 2002. "Testing for PPP: Should We Use Panel Methods?," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 13, Royal Economic Society.
- Anindya Banerjee & Massimiliano Marcellino & Chiara Osbat, . "Testing for PPP: Should We Use Panel Methods?," Working Papers 186, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- António Portugal Duarte, 2005.
"Purchasing power parity: an empirical study of three EMU countries,"
- António Portugal Duarte, 2005. "Purchasing power parity: an empirical study of three EMU countries," International Trade 0505005, EconWPA.
- Fischer, Christoph, 2004.
"PPP: a Disaggregated View,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2004,07, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Alberola, Enrique & Lopez, Humberto & Serven, Luis, 2004.
"Tango with the Gringo: the hard peg and real misalignment in Argentina,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3322, The World Bank.
- Enrique Alberola & Humberto López & Luis Servén, 2004. "Tango with the gringo: the hard peg and real misalign ment in Argentina," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0405, Banco de Espa�a.
- Gligor Bishev, 1999. "Monetary Policy and Transition in Sotheast Europe," Working Papers 1999-02, National Bank of the Republic of Macedonia.
- Ho, Catherine S.F. & Ariff, M., 2012. "Time to equilibrium in exchange rates: G-10 and Eastern European economies," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 94-107.
- Catherine S. F. Ho & M. Ariff, 2008. "The Role of Non-Parity Fundamentals in Exchange Rate Determination: Australia and the Asia Pacific Region," CARF F-Series CARF-F-125, Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo.
- Gligor Bishev, 1999. "Monetary Policy and Transition in Southeast Europe," The wiiw Balkan Observatory Working Papers 002, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Alba, Joseph D. & Park, Donghyun, 2003. "Purchasing Power Parity in Developing Countries: Multi-Period Evidence Under the Current Float," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(12), pages 2049-2060, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.