Wages and Worker Displacement in Germany
AbstractThis paper investigates the effect of displacement on wages of socially insured German workers, who became unemployed in 1986. Because detailed information on job loss is unavailable, displacement status is predicted using a probit, estimated on the German Socioeconomic Panel. In contrast to US findings, post-displacement wages decline only slightly upon re-employment. The lowest earnings quartile, in which displacement is concentrated, even gains slightly (2%), while wage growth losses for the upper three quartiles are higher (17%). Limited wage adjustment of displaced workers is likely to play an important role in explaining aggregate wage rigidity in Germany.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 1869.
Date of creation: Apr 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
- J30 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - General
- J63 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Turnover; Vacancies; Layoffs
- J65 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Unemployment Insurance; Severance Pay; Plant Closings
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jennifer Hunt, 1999.
"Post-Unification Wage Growth in East Germany,"
NBER Working Papers
6878, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hunt, Jennifer, 1999. "Post-Unification Wage Growth in East Germany," CEPR Discussion Papers 2106, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jennifer Hunt, 1998. "Post-Unification Wage Growth in East Germany," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 304, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Hassler, John & Mora, José & Storesletten, Kjetil & Zilibotti, Fabrizio, 1999.
"Equilibrium Unemployment Insurance,"
665, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Hassler, J. & Mora, J.V.R. & Storesletten, K. & Zilibotti, F., 1999. "Equilibrium Unemployment Insurance," Papers 665, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Hassler, John & Rodríguez Mora, José Vicente & Storesletten, Kjetil & Zilibotti, Fabrizio, 1999. "Equilibrium Unemployment Insurance," CEPR Discussion Papers 2126, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- John Hassler & José V. Rodríguez Mora & Kjetil Storesletten & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 1998. "Equilibrium unemployment insurance," Economics Working Papers 605, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jun 1999.
- Eriksson, Stefan & Gottfries, Nils, 2000.
"Ranking of job applicants, on-the-job search, and persistent unemployment,"
Working Paper Series
2000:8, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Eriksson, Stefan & Gottfries, Nils, 2005. "Ranking of job applicants, on-the-job search, and persistent unemployment," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 407-428, June.
- Eriksson, S. & Gottfries, N., 2000. "Ranking of Job Applicants, On-the-Job Search and Persistent Unemployment," Papers 2000:3, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Eriksson, Stefan & Gottfries, Nils, 2000. "Ranking of Job Applicants, On-the-job Search and Persistent Unemployment," Working Paper Series 2000:3, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Huttunen, Kristiina & Moen, Jarle & Salvanes, Kjell G., 2006. "How Destructive Is Creative Destruction? The Costs of Worker Displacement," IZA Discussion Papers 2316, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Marcel Erlinghagen, 2004. "Gewinnen arbeitgeberseitige Entlassungen an Bedeutung?: Zur Entwicklung der Beschäftigungssicherheit auf dem deutschen Arbeitsmarkt," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 459, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.