Trust and Search in Vietnam's Emerging Private Sector
AbstractThis paper investigates how start-up firms in Vietnam operate in the face of two significant market frictions: a poorly developed legal system and inadequate market information. We argue that these two market frictions actually offset each other. Poor market information and the consequent difficulty of locating trading partners can help make self-enforcing contracts workable. Firms that have nowhere else to go will refrain from breaking their agreements. If it is difficult to locate alternative trading partners, firms will invest in maintaining their existing relationships. Our empirical analysis is consistent with this hypothesis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 1506.
Date of creation: Nov 1996
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O12 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- O17 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Formal and Informal Sectors; Shadow Economy; Institutional Arrangements
- P21 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - Planning, Coordination, and Reform
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Luc Moers, 2000.
"Determinants of Enterprise Restructuring in Transition: Description of a Survey in Russian Industry,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 307-335.
- Luc Moers, 2000. "Determinants of Enterprise restructuring in Transition: Description of a Survey in Russian Industry," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 00-026/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Johnson, Simon & McMillan, John & Woodruff, Christopher, 1999.
"Contract Enforcement in Transition,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2081, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jeffrey B. Miller & Stoyan Tenev, 2005. "State and Ownership Reforms in Transition Economics: China vs. the Orthodoxy," Working Papers 05-10, University of Delaware, Department of Economics.
- Gow, Hamish R. & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2002. "Investment, and Contract Hold-Ups in Transition: Evidence from Hungary," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24853, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bruce Benson, 1999.
"To Arbitrate or To Litigate: That Is the Question,"
European Journal of Law and Economics,
Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 91-151, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.