Intra-Industry Trade, Foreign Direct Investment and the Reorientation of East European Exports
AbstractIn the first half of the 1990s many Central and East European countries (CEECs) experienced very high growth rates of exports to OECD nations. This paper investigates the contribution of sources of comparative advantage and economic restructuring on the pattern, composition and volume of trade. The importance of the redirection of traditional Council of Mutual Economic Assistance goods to OECD markets is found to be limited. A strong relationship is found to exist between export performance and growth in vertical intra-industry trade with the EU. The latter reflects the sourcing of inputs from EU firms, with associated transfers of technology and marketing-related services. Inflows of foreign direct investment are found to be highly correlated with the volume of intra-industry trade.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 1377.
Date of creation: Apr 1996
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kaitila, Ville & WidgrÉn, Mika, 1999. "Revealed Comparative Advantage in Trade between the European Union and the Baltic States," Discussion Papers 697, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Kohl, Richard, 1998.
"The External Sector, the State and Development in Eastern Europe,"
UCAIS Berkeley Roundtable on the International Economy, Working Paper Series
qt22r0x8qk, UCAIS Berkeley Roundtable on the International Economy, UC Berkeley.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Kohl, Richard, 1998. "The External Sector, the State and Development in Eastern Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 1904, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Yener Kandogan, 2003. "The Reorientation of Transition Countries’ Exports: Changes in Quantity, Quality and Variety," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2003-631, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Yener Kandogan, 2003. "Intra-industry Trade of Transition Countries: Trends and Determinants," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2003-566, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- J. Caetano & A. Galego & E. Vaz & C. Vieira & I. Vieira, 2002. "The Eastward Enlargement of the Eurozone: Trade and FDI," Eastward Enlargement of the Euro-zone Working Papers wp07, Free University Berlin, Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence, revised 01 Aug 2002.
- Hubert Gabrisch, 2006. "Vertical Intra-industry Trade between EU and Accession Countries," IWH Discussion Papers 12, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Kaminski, Bartlomiej, 2001. "How accession to the European Union has affected external trade and foreign direct investment in Central European economies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2578, The World Bank.
- Luka, Oksana & Levkovych, Inna, 2004.
"Intra-industry trade in agricultural and food products: the case of Ukraine,"
IAMO Discussion Papers
78, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO).
- Levkovych, Inna & Luka, Oksana, 2005. "Intra-Industry Trade in Agricultural and Food Products: The Case of Ukraine," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24632, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Lorena Skufliæ, 2005. "The integration process as a determinant of intra-industry trade," ERSA conference papers ersa05p715, European Regional Science Association.
- Tito Boeri & Joaquim Oliveira Martins, 2000.
"Varieties, Jobs and EU Enlargement,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
301, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Yener Kandogan, 2003. "TDoes Product Differentiation Explain The Increase in Exports of Transition Countries?," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2003-599, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Kaminski, Bartlomiej & Ng, Francis, 2001. "Trade and production fragmentation : Central European economies in European Union networks of production and marketing," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2611, The World Bank.
- Yener Kandogan, 2004. "How Much Restructuring did the Transition Countries Experience? Evidence from Quality of their Exports," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2004-637, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Barba Navaretti, Giorgio & Galeotti, Marzio, 2000.
"Moving Skills from Hands to Heads: Import of Technology and Export Performance,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2525, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giorgio Barba Navaretti & Marzio Galeotti & Andrea Mattozzi, 2000. "Moving Skills from Hands to Heads: Import of Technology and Export Performance," Development Working Papers 139, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Tomas Adam & Oxana Babecka Kucharcukova & Jan Babecky & Kamil Galuscak & Tomas Holub & Eva Hromadkova & Narcisa Liliana Kadlcakova & Lubos Komarek & Zlatuse Komarkova & Petr Kral & Ivana Kubicova & Ji, 2012. "Analyses of the Czech Republic's Current Economic Alignment with the Euro Area 2012," Occasional Publications - Edited Volumes, Czech National Bank, Research Department, number as12 edited by Romana Zamazalova & Jakub Mateju, October.
- Michaël Freudenberg & Françoise Lemoine, 1999. "Central and Eastern European Countries in the International Division of Labour in Europe," Working Papers 1999-05, CEPII research center.
- Jan Babecky & Oxana Babetskaia-Kukharchuk & Kamil Galuscak & Dana Hajkova & Jaroslav Hermanek & Tomas Holub & Roman Horvath & Petr Jakubik & Lubos Komarek & Zlatuse Komarkova & Petr Kral & Filip Novot, 2008. "Analyses of the Czech Republic's Current Economic Alignment with the Euro Area 2008," Occasional Publications - Edited Volumes, Czech National Bank, Research Department, number as08 edited by Dana Hajkova, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.