Immigration, Trade, and Austrian Unemployment
AbstractIn this paper we look at the effects of immigration and trade with Eastern Europe on unemployment in Austria. Using individual data over the period 1989-92 of male blue-collar workers employed in the Austrian manufacturing sector, we decompose possible detrimental impacts in unemployment entry effects and unemployment duration effects. We find that unemployment entry does not seem to be strongly affected by the recent increase in the flow of immigrants. This is different from the immigration effect on unemployment duration. Within almost all subgroups there is a significant increase in the length of unemployment spells as a result of increased immigration. Increased trade with Central and East European Countries (CEECs) seems to have increased the risk of unemployment entry, and to a lesser extent also the duration of unemployment. This is different from trade with the rest of the world, where export increases have an unemployment reducing effect.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 1346.
Date of creation: Feb 1996
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
- Zweimuller, Joseph & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf, 1995. "Immigration, Trade and Austrian Unemployment," Institute for Research on Labor and Employment, Working Paper Series qt8cp8c6hf, Institute of Industrial Relations, UC Berkeley.
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- J61 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Geographic Labor Mobility; Immigrant Workers
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Noel Gaston & Daniel Trefler, 1994. "The Role of International Trade and Trade Policy in the Labour Markets of Canada and the United States," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(1), pages 45-62, 01.
- Douglas L. Kruse, 1988. "International trade and the labor market experience of displaced workers," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 41(3), pages 402-417, April.
- Brown, D.K., 1992. "The Impact of a North American Free Trade Area: Applied General Equilibrium Models," Working Papers 311, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- repec:fth:michin:313 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gene M. Grossman, 1984.
"Imports as a Cause of Injury: The Case of the U.S. Steel Industry,"
NBER Working Papers
1494, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, Gene M., 1986. "Imports as a cause of injury: The case of the U.S. steel industry," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3-4), pages 201-223, May.
- Robert E. Baldwin, 1995.
"The Effects of Trade and Foreign Direct Investment on Employment and Relative Wages,"
NBER Working Papers
5037, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Baldwin, 1995. "The Effects of Trade and Foreign Direct Investment on Employment and Relative Wages," OECD Jobs Study Working Papers 4, OECD Publishing.
- Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf & Zweimüller, Josef, 1994.
"Immigration and the Earnings of Young Native Workers,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
936, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf & Zweimuller, Josef, 1996. "Immigration and the Earnings of Young Native Workers," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 48(3), pages 473-91, July.
- Aiginger, Karl & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf & Zweimüller, Josef, 1995. "East European Trade and the Austrian Labour Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 1168, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Muhleisen, Martin & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 1994. "A panel analysis of job changes and unemployment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 793-801, April.
- Angrist, Joshua & Kugler, Adriana, 2002. "Protective or Counter-Productive? Labor Market Institutions and the Effect Immigration on EU Natives," IZA Discussion Papers 433, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Joshua Angrist & Adriana Kugler, 2001.
"Protective or Counter-Productive? European Labor Market Institutions and the Effect of Immigrants on EU Natives,"
NBER Working Papers
8660, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Angrist, Joshua & Kugler, Adriana D., 2002. "Protective or Counter-Productive? European Labour Market Institutions and the Effect of Immigrants on EU Natives," CEPR Discussion Papers 3196, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giovanni Peri, 2005.
"Skills and Talent of Immigrants:A Comparison between the European Union and the United States,"
524, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Peri, Giovanni, 2005. "Skills and Talent of Immigrants: A Comparison between the European Union and the United States," Institute of European Studies, Working Paper Series qt78t8m1n7, Institute of European Studies, UC Berkeley.
- Joshua D. Angrist & Adriana D. Kugler, 2001.
"Protective or counter-productive? Labor market institutions and the effect of immigration on EU natives,"
Economics Working Papers
587, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Joshua D. Angrist & Adriana D. Kugler, 2003. "Protective or counter-productive? labour market institutions and the effect of immigration on eu natives," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(488), pages F302-F331, 06.
- Sari Pekkala, 2005.
"Economic Impacts of Immigration: A Survey,"
362, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Vincent Fromentin, 2012.
"Migration and unemployment duration in OECD countries: A dynamic panel analysis,"
AccessEcon, vol. 32(2), pages 1113-1124.
- Vincent Fromentin, 2012. "Migration and unemployment duration in OECD countries: A dynamic panel analysis," CREA Discussion Paper Series 12-02, Center for Research in Economic Analysis, University of Luxembourg.
- Peter Huber & Klaus Nowotny & Julia Bock-Schappelwein, 2010. "Qualification Structure, Over- and Underqualification of the Foreign Born in Austria and the EU," FIW Research Reports series II-008, FIW.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.