The Innovation, Unemployment and Competitiveness Challenge in Germany
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to link the twin horns of the European economic dilemma - unemployment and a loss in international competitiveness - to a lack of innovative activity. In Germany the Innovationskrise (innovation crisis) combines with the Standortkrise (location crisis) and the Arbeitslosenkrise (unemployment crisis) to form a triad of economic challenges for the 1990s. This paper documents the extent of this economic dilemma confronting Germany as well as the rest of Western Europe and explains how this dilemma developed in the first place. Finally, policies are recommended that can be implemented to overcome this new economic challenge of the 1990s.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 1152.
Date of creation: Mar 1995
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L0 - Industrial Organization - - General
- O3 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Groot, H.L.F. de, 1998. "Macroeconomic Consequences of Outsourcing. An Analysis of Growth, Welfare and Product Variety," Discussion Paper 1998-43, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Engelhardt, Lutz, 2004. "Entrepreneurial business models in the German software industry: Companies, venture capital, and stock market based growth strategies on the Neuer Markt," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Institutions, States, Markets SP II 2004-04, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Catherine Matraves, 1997. "German Industrial Structure in Comparative Perspective (Only in German language!)," CIG Working Papers FS IV 97-10, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Engelhardt, Lutz, 2007. "Der Entry Standard der Frankfurter Wertpapierbörse als Nachfolger des Neuen Marktes: Zwei Versuche institutioneller Innovation in Deutschland," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Institutions, States, Markets SP II 2007-05, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.