Central and East European Labour Markets in Transition: Developments, Causes, and Cures
AbstractThe main questions addressed in this paper are: First, how did labour markets in the Visegrad countries react to the breakdown of a command economy and the transformation to a market economy? Second, which way ahead is likely, or to put it differently, what should be done now to improve conditions in the labour market in these countries? A comprehensive survey of labour market developments in each country under consideration is offered at some length. Special emphasis is then put on the dynamics of employment and unemployment in order to identify key issues for the sources of the malfunctioning of these labour markets. The paper then looks at the wage formation process including institutional settings and income policies, active and passive labour market policies, and the structure of employment and output.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 1132.
Date of creation: Feb 1995
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
- J63 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, and Vacancies - - - Turnover; Vacancies; Layoffs
- J65 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, and Vacancies - - - Unemployment Insurance; Severance Pay; Plant Closings
- O52 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Europe
- P21 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - Planning, Coordination, and Reform
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Puhani, Patrick A., 1999. "Estimating the effects of public training on Polish unemployment by way of the augmented matching function approach," ZEW Discussion Papers 99-38, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Puhani, Patrick A, 1999. "Public Training and Outflows from Unemployment: An Augmented Matching Function Approach on Polish Regional Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 2244, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Belke, Ansgar & Gocke, Matthias & Hebler, Martin, 2005.
"Institutional uncertainty and European Social Union: Impacts on job creation and destruction in the CEECs,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 345-354, April.
- Ansgar Belke & Matthias Göcke & Martin Hebler, 2003. "Institutional Uncertainty and European Social Union: Impacts on Job Creation and Destruction in the CEECs," Diskussionspapiere aus dem Institut fÃ¼r Volkswirtschaftslehre der UniversitÃ¤t Hohenheim 228/2003, Department of Economics, University of Hohenheim, Germany.
- Belke, Ansgar & Göcke, Matthias & Hebler, Martin, 2004. "Institutional Uncertainty and European Social Union: Impacts on Job Creation and Destruction in the CEECs," IZA Discussion Papers 1039, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ansgar Belke & Martin Hebler, 2002. "Towards a European Social Union: Impacts on Labor Markets in the Acceding Countries," Constitutional Political Economy, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 313-335, December.
- Ansgar Belke & Martin Hebler, 2000. "EU enlargement and labour markets in the CEECs," Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 35(5), pages 219-230, September.
- Steiner, Viktor & Kwiatkowski, Eugeniusz, 1995. "The Polish labour market in transition," ZEW Discussion Papers 95-03, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Brauer, Holger & Falk, Martin & Raiser, Martin, 1996. "Labour markets in Poland and Hungary five years from the start of transition: Evidence from monthly data," Kiel Working Papers 742, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.