Trade Liberalization and the Harmonization of Social Policies: Lessons from European Integration
AbstractThe paper analyses the debate on the relationship between trade liberalization and the harmonization of social policies in the context of European integration. It is divided into two parts. The first shows that harmonization of social policies was not imposed in the 1960s and 1970s as a pre-condition for trade liberalization inside the Community mainly due to favourable economic conditions. The second part examines the demand for and the actual measures in favour of harmonizing social policies which have increasingly occurred in the Community since the mid-1970s. It is contended that this new regime corresponds to greater heterogeneity and slower growth inside the Community. Renewed efforts to liberalize intra-EC trade in the mid-1980s also played a significant part in the shift towards harmonization.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 1114.
Date of creation: Jan 1995
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- J38 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Public Policy
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kym Anderson, 1996.
"Social Policy Dimensions of Economic Integration: Environmental and Labour Standards,"
NBER Working Papers
5702, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kym Anderson, 1997. "Social Policy Dimensions of Economic Integration: Environmental and Labor Standards," NBER Chapters, in: Regionalism versus Multilateral Trade Arrangements, NBER-EASE Volume 6, pages 57-90 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anderson, Kym, 1996. "Social Policy Dimensions of Economic Integration: Environmental and Labour Standards," CEPR Discussion Papers 1440, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giandomenico Majone, 2002. "International Economic Integration, National Autonomy, Transnational Democracy: An Impossible Trinity?," EUI-RSCAS Working Papers 48, European University Institute (EUI), Robert Schuman Centre of Advanced Studies (RSCAS).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.