Testing for hysteresis : unemployment persistence and wage adjustment
AbstractThis paper proposes a new testing strategy for unemployment hysteris as the joint restriction of a unit-root in the unemployment rate and no-effect of the level of unemployment in the Phillips wage equation. The relevant test statistics are derived when this joint restriction is imposed during estimation and when a sequential two steps testing strategy is adopted. The empirical application leads to rejection of the null hypothesis of wage hysteresis for most of our sample of OECD countries. We get an interesting contrast between the "core European countries" -rejecting hysteresis, but not unemployment non-stationarity- and the scandinavian ones where unemployment appears to be stabilized despite a lack of the wage correction.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CEPREMAP in its series CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) with number 9911.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- P. Fève & P. Y. Hénin & P. Jolivaldt, 2003. "Testing for hysteresis: Unemployment persistence and wage adjustment," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 535-552, July.
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lee, Chien-Chiang & Chang, Chun-Ping, 2008. "Unemployment hysteresis in OECD countries: Centurial time series evidence with structural breaks," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 312-325, March.
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Carlos Esteban Posada, .
"El Desempleo en Colombia,"
Borradores de Economia
176, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sébastien Villemot).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.