Testing for hysteresis : unemployment persistence and wage adjustment
AbstractThis paper proposes a new testing strategy for unemployment hysteris as the joint restriction of a unit-root in the unemployment rate and no-effect of the level of unemployment in the Phillips wage equation. The relevant test statistics are derived when this joint restriction is imposed during estimation and when a sequential two steps testing strategy is adopted. The empirical application leads to rejection of the null hypothesis of wage hysteresis for most of our sample of OECD countries. We get an interesting contrast between the "core European countries" -rejecting hysteresis, but not unemployment non-stationarity- and the scandinavian ones where unemployment appears to be stabilized despite a lack of the wage correction.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CEPREMAP in its series CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) with number 9911.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- P. Fève & P. Y. Hénin & P. Jolivaldt, 2003. "Testing for hysteresis: Unemployment persistence and wage adjustment," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 535-552, July.
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Luis Eduardo Arango T. & Carlos Esteban Posada, 2001.
"El Desempleo En Colombia,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
002495, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Giray Gozgor, 2013. "Testing Unemployment Persistence in Central and Eastern European Countries," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 3(3), pages 694-700.
- Lee, Chien-Chiang & Chang, Chun-Ping, 2008. "Unemployment hysteresis in OECD countries: Centurial time series evidence with structural breaks," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 312-325, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sébastien Villemot).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.