Two notes on economic growth and the Solow model
AbstractThe two notes deal (from different angles) with the extension of the Solow model that has been offered by Mankiw, Romer and Weil (MRW). In this `extended Solow' model, physical capital enters the production function with the same weight as human capital and both weights are about 1/3. The first note challenges the assumption that the law of motion of human capital is collinear with the law of motion of physical capital, a key assumption which allows MRW to keep a one-dimensional trade of economic growth. The note shows instead that growth appears to be the sum of two terms: the traditional Solow term (proportional to the distance between the initial and `terminal' value of per-capita income); and the `productivity wedge', which is shown to be involved and to depend on the human-to-physical capital ratio. The second note verifies that physical capital enters into the production function with a weight of (only) 1/3 but challenges the view that school enrolment is a `causal' determinant of economic growth. In order to do that, the note estimates a growth equation in which an idiosyncratic term is controlled for each country.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CEPREMAP in its series CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) with number 9303.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: 1993
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Cohen, Daniel, 1993. "Two Notes on Economic Growth and the Solow Model," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 780, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- E22 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Capital; Investment; Capacity
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Andres, Javier & Domenech, Rafael & Molinas, Cesar, 1996. "Macroeconomic performance and convergence in OECD countries," European Economic Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 40(9), pages 1683-1704, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sébastien Villemot).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.