Dynamic externalities, local industrial structure and economic development: panel data evidence for Morocco
AbstractBun M. J. G. and El Makhloufi A. (2007) Dynamic externalities, local industrial structure and economic development: panel data evidence for Morocco, Regional Studies 41, 823-837. The impact of industrial structure on local economic development is analysed for the case of Morocco. Using annual data for six urban areas and 18 industrial sectors indicators for specialization, diversity and competition of firms within a particular region are constructed for the years 1985-1995. The effects of these and other explanatory variables on local economic activity are estimated using a dynamic panel data model with both individual and time-specific effects. The estimation results suggest significant positive specialization and diversity effects and significant negative competition effects asserting the importance of industrial structure for local economic development. The empirical evidence is robust to the measure of economic activity used in the analysis, i.e. either employment or value added. A similar analysis is conducted restricting the space to the region of Casablanca. Using data on seven districts and 18 sectors for the period 1992-1995 again significant externalities are found within this specific region. Bun M. J. G. et El Makhloufi A. (2007) Les effets externes dynamiques, la structure industrielle locale et le developpement economique: des donnees permanentes pour le Maroc, Regional Studies 41, 823-837. Cet article cherche a analyser l'impact de la structure industrielle sur le developement economique local au Maroc. A partir des donnees annuelles aupres de 6 zones urbaines et 18 secteurs industriels, on construit des indicateurs de specialisation, de diversite et de competition pour les entreprises situees au sein d'une region donnee entre 1985 et 1995. Employant un modele dynamique fonde sur des donnees permanentes et dote des effets individuels et decales dans le temps, on estime l'impact de ces variables-la et des autres variables explicatives sur l'activite e
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Conferences on Panel Data in its series 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 with number D5-2.
Date of creation: Mar 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Other versions of this item:
- Maurice J. G. Bun & Abderrahman El Makhloufi, 2007. "Dynamic Externalities, Local Industrial Structure and Economic Development: Panel Data Evidence for Morocco," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(6), pages 823-837.
- NEP-ALL-2002-07-04 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Henderson, Vernon & Kuncoro, Ari & Turner, Matt, 1995.
"Industrial Development in Cities,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(5), pages 1067-90, October.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995.
"Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models,"
104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990.
"Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995. "Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- Henderson, Vernon, 1997.
"Externalities and Industrial Development,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 449-470, November.
- Glaeser, Edward L & Hedi D. Kallal & Jose A. Scheinkman & Andrei Shleifer, 1992.
"Growth in Cities,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(6), pages 1126-52, December.
- Glaeser, Edward Ludwig & Kallal, Hedi D. & Scheinkman, Jose A. & Shleifer, Andrei, 1992. "Growth in Cities," Scholarly Articles 3451309, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Hedi D. Kallal & Jose A. Scheinkman & Andrei Shleifer, 1991. "Growth in Cities," NBER Working Papers 3787, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Juan J. de Lucio & José A. Herce & Ana Goicolea, . "The effects of externalities on value added and productivity growth in Spanish industry," Working Papers 98-05, FEDEA.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Francesca Mameli & Simona Iammarino & Ron Boschma, 2012. "Regional variety and employment growth in Italian labour market areas: services versus manufacturing industries," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) 1203, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Feb 2012.
- ZHAO Ting & ZHAO Wei, 2012. "Dynamic Externalities and Manufacturing Productivity: An empirical comparison among China's top three municipalities," Discussion papers 12072, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Zheng, Xiao-Ping, 2010. "A cointegration analysis of dynamic externalities," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 130-140, March.
- Francesca Mameli & Simona Iammarino & Ron Boschma, 2012. "Regional variety and employment growth in Italian labour market areas: services versus manufacturing industries," Working Papers 4, Birkbeck Centre for Innovation Management Research, revised Mar 2012.
- Rosa Bernardini Papalia & Silvia Bertarelli, 2009. "Decomposing productivity patterns in a conditional convergence framework," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 57-75, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sune Karlsson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.