On the estimation of panel regression models with fixed effects
AbstractThis paper considers estimation of panel data models with fixed effects. First, we will show that a consistent ``unrestricted fixed effects'' estimator does not exist for autoregressive panel data models with initial conditions. We will derive necessary and sufficient conditions for the consistency of estimators for these models. In particular, we will show that various widely used GMM estimators for the conditional AR(1) panel model are inconsistent under trending fixed effects sequences. Next, we will derive, justify, and compare restricted Fixed Effects GMM and (Q)ML estimators for this model. We find that the FEML estimator is asymptotically efficient, whereas the Modified ML estimator is not. We will also compare the fixed effects approach for estimating the conditional AR(1) panel model and covariance parameters in static panel data models with the correlated random effects approach.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Conferences on Panel Data in its series 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 with number C6-2.
Date of creation: Mar 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Other versions of this item:
- Hugo Kruiniger, 2002. "On the Estimation of Panel Regression Models with Fixed Effects," Working Papers 450, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- C11 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Bayesian Analysis: General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-07-04 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1980. "Analysis of Covariance with Qualitative Data," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 225-38, January.
- Thomas E. MaCurdy, 1981. "Multiple Time-Serie3 Models Applied to Panel Data," NBER Working Papers 0646, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1984. "Panel data," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 22, pages 1247-1318 Elsevier.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1981. "Biases in Dynamic Models with Fixed Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1417-26, November.
- Thomas E. MaCurdy, 1981. "Asymptotic Properties of Quasi-Maximum Likelihood Estimators and Test Statistics," NBER Technical Working Papers 0014, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ahn, Seung C. & Schmidt, Peter, 1997. "Efficient estimation of dynamic panel data models: Alternative assumptions and simplified estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 76(1-2), pages 309-321.
- Mundlak, Yair, 1978. "On the Pooling of Time Series and Cross Section Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 69-85, January.
- Ahn, Seung C. & Schmidt, Peter, 1995. "Efficient estimation of models for dynamic panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 5-27, July.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990.
"Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995. "Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- Newey, Whitney K. & McFadden, Daniel, 1986. "Large sample estimation and hypothesis testing," Handbook of Econometrics, in: R. F. Engle & D. McFadden (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 36, pages 2111-2245 Elsevier.
- Sims, Christopher A., 2000. "Using a likelihood perspective to sharpen econometric discourse: Three examples," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 95(2), pages 443-462, April.
- Hugo Kruiniger, 2000. "GMM Estimation of Dynamic Panel Data Models with Persistent Data," Working Papers 428, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Gareth M. Thomas & Seung C. Ahn, 2004. "Likelihood Based Inference for amic Panel Data Models," Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings 669, Econometric Society.
- Kruiniger, Hugo, 2009.
"Gmm Estimation And Inference In Dynamic Panel Data Models With Persistent Data,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(05), pages 1348-1391, October.
- Hugo Kruiniger, 2006. "GMM Estimation and Inference in Dynamic Panel Data Models with Persistent Data," Working Papers 560, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Steve Bond & Céline Nauges & Frank Windmeijer, 2005. "Unit roots: identification and testing in micro panels," CeMMAP working papers CWP07/05, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Hugo Kruiniger, 2006.
"Quasi ML Estimation of the Panel AR(1) Model with Arbitrary Initial Conditions,"
582, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Kruiniger, Hugo, 2013. "Quasi ML estimation of the panel AR(1) model with arbitrary initial conditions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 173(2), pages 175-188.
- Yongfu Huang, 2006.
"Private investment and financial development in a globalized world,"
Bristol Economics Discussion Papers
06/589, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Yongfu Huang, 2011. "Private investment and financial development in a globalized world," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 41(1), pages 43-56, August.
- Arturas Juodis, 2013. "First Difference Transformation in Panel VAR models: Robustness, Estimation and Inference," UvA-Econometrics Working Papers 13-06, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Dept. of Econometrics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sune Karlsson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.