Is ELIE a wasteful minimum income scheme?
AbstractELIE can be interpreted as a minimum income scheme, financed by lump-sum taxes. It may induce social waste as individuals with a low taste for working may opt for voluntary unemployment. We simulate the magnitude of this social waste with microdata for Belgium and compare ELIE with a firstbest scheme and a second-best scheme (based on a linear income tax), implementing the same minimum income. As expected, the social waste induced by ELIE is intermediate between the social waste induced by the first- and second-best schemes. Assumptions about the preferences of the voluntarily unemployed play a crucial role.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE) in its series CORE Discussion Papers RP with number -2282.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Note: In : Chapter 8 in C. Gamel and M. Lubrano (eds.), On Kolm's Theory of Macrojsutice. A Pluridisciplinary Forum of Exchange. Heidelberg, Springer, 235-255, 2010
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jean-Sébastien Gharbi & Yves Meinard, 2012. "Sur le sens du non welfarisme dans le modèle ELIE de redistribution des revenus de Kolm," AMSE Working Papers 1237, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France.
- Jean-Sébastien Gharbi & Yves Meinard, 2012. "Sur le Sens du Non Welfarisme dans le Modèle ELIE de Redistribution des Revenus de Kolm," Working Papers halshs-00793658, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.