Policy insights from the urban road pricing case sudies
AbstractThis article reviews and compares the results of four modelling case studies of urban road pricing implementation that were carried out for the MC-ICAM project. The studies all concern large cities in Western Europe (Paris, Brussels, Oslo and Helsinki) and they all examine phased implementation paths in which constraints on the set of policy instruments are progressively relaxed. However, the studies used different models that vary with respect to the endogenous dimensions of traveller behaviour, the level of detail in which road and public transit networks are represented, and assumptions about what policy instruments are available and what constraints apply.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE) in its series CORE Discussion Papers RP with number -1881.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Note: In : Transport Policy, 13, 149-161, 2006
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- de Palma, André & Lindsey, Robin & Niskanen, Esko, 2006. "Policy insights from the urban road pricing case studies," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 149-161, March.
- NEP-ALL-2013-11-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-TRE-2013-11-16 (Transport Economics)
- NEP-URE-2013-11-16 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Milne & Esko Niskanen & Erik Verhoef, 2000. "Operationalisation of Marginal Cost Pricing within Urban Transport," Research Reports 63, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Rouwendal, Jan & Verhoef, Erik T., 2006. "Basic economic principles of road pricing: From theory to applications," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 106-114, March.
- Palma, André de & Lindsey, Robin & Proost, Stef, 2006.
"Research challenges in modelling urban road pricing: An overview,"
Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 97-105, March.
- DE PALMA, André & LINDSEY, Robin & PROOST, Stef, . "Research challenges in modelling urban road pricing: An overview," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1880, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Andre de Palma & Lindsey Robin & Proost Stef, 2005. "Research challenges in modelling urban road pricing: an overview," Energy, Transport and Environment Working Papers Series ete0506, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Energy, Transport and Environment.
- Mun, Se-il & Konishi, Ko-ji & Yoshikawa, Kazuhiro, 2003. "Optimal cordon pricing," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 21-38, July.
- Mohring, Herbert, 1972. "Optimization and Scale Economies in Urban Bus Transportation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(4), pages 591-604, September.
- Friedlaender, Ann F. & Mathur, Subodh C., 1982. "Price distortions, financing constraints and second-best investment rules in the transportation industries," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 195-215, July.
- Proost, S. & Van Dender, K. & Courcelle, C. & De Borger, B. & Peirson, J. & Sharp, D. & Vickerman, R. & Gibbons, E. & O'Mahony, M. & Heaney, Q. & Van den Bergh, J. & Verhoef, E., 2002.
"How large is the gap between present and efficient transport prices in Europe?,"
Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 41-57, January.
- Stef Proost & Kurt Van Dender & C. Courcelle & B. De Borger & J. Peirson & D. Sharp & R. Vickerman & E. Gibbons & M. O'Mahony & Q. Heaney & J. Van den Bergh & E. Verhoef, 2001. "How large is the gap between present and efficient transport prices in Europe?," Energy, Transport and Environment Working Papers Series ete0120, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Energy, Transport and Environment.
- de Palma, André & Lindsey, Robin, 2006. "Modelling and evaluation of road pricing in Paris," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 115-126, March.
- Liu, Louie Nan & McDonald, John F., 1998. "Efficient Congestion Tolls in the Presence of Unpriced Congestion: A Peak and Off-Peak Simulation Model," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 352-366, November.
- Eliasson, Jonas & Amelsfort, Dirk van & Börjesson, Maria & Brundell-Freij, Karin & Engelson, Leonid, 2012.
"Accuracy of congestion pricing forecasts,"
Working papers in Transport Economics
2012:31, CTS - Centre for Transport Studies Stockholm (KTH and VTI).
- Eliasson, Jonas & Börjesson, Maria & van Amelsfort, Dirk & Brundell-Freij, Karin & Engelson, Leonid, 2013. "Accuracy of congestion pricing forecasts," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 52(C), pages 34-46.
- Schaller, Bruce, 2010. "New York City's congestion pricing experience and implications for road pricing acceptance in the United States," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 266-273, August.
- Xie, Litian & Olszewski, Piotr, 2011. "Modelling the effects of road pricing on traffic using ERP traffic data," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 45(6), pages 512-522, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.