Benchmarking and regulation
AbstractBenchmarking methods, and in particular Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA), have become well-established and informative tools for economic regulation. DEA is now routinely used by European regulators to set reasonable revenue caps for energy transmission and distribution system operators. The application of benchmarking in regulation, however, requires specific steps in terms of data validation, model specification and outlier detection that are not systematically documented in open publications, leading to discussions about regulatory stability and economic feasibility of these techniques. In this paper, we review the modern foundations for frontier-based regulation and we discuss its actual use in several jurisdictions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE) in its series CORE Discussion Papers with number 2013008.
Date of creation: 26 Apr 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
agency theory; regulation; energy networks;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q40 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - General
- L59 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Other
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- C24 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Truncated and Censored Models; Switching Regression Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-06-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2013-06-04 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-ENE-2013-06-04 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-REG-2013-06-04 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Agrell, Per J. & Bogetoft, Peter & Halbersma, Rein & Mikkers, Misja C., 2007. "Yardstick competition for multi-product hospitals," Working Papers 01-2007, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Economics.
- Bogetoft, Peter & Nielsen, Kurt, 2008. "DEA based auctions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 184(2), pages 685-700, January.
- Bogetoft, Peter & Wang, Dexiang, 2003.
"Estimating the Potential Gains from Mergers,"
Unit of Economics Working papers
24213, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Food and Resource Economic Institute.
- Fleurbaey,Marc & Maniquet,François, 2011.
"A Theory of Fairness and Social Welfare,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521715348.
- PER AGRELL & Peter Bogetoft & Jørgen Tind, 2005.
"DEA and Dynamic Yardstick Competition in Scandinavian Electricity Distribution,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 173-201, 05.
- AGRELL, Per J. & BOGETOFT, Peter & TIND, Jorgen, . "DEA and dynamic yardstick competition in Scandinavian electricity distribution," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1837, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Peter Bogetoft & Jens Hougaard, 2003.
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 243-271, November.
- Edward P. Lazear & Sherwin Rosen, 1979.
"Rank-Order Tournaments as Optimum Labor Contracts,"
NBER Working Papers
0401, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Banker, R. D. & Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Clarke, R., 1989. "Constrained game formulations and interpretations for data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 299-308, June.
- Bogetoft, Peter, 1995. "Incentives and productivity measurements," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 67-77, April.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Jean Tirole, 1993. "A Theory of Incentives in Procurement and Regulation," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262121743, December.
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, December.
- Agrell, Per J. & Bogetoft, Peter & Tind, Jorgen, 2002. "Incentive plans for productive efficiency, innovation and learning," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 1-11, July.
- Peter Bogetoft, 2000. "DEA and Activity Planning under Asymmetric Information," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 7-48, January.
- Bowlin, William F., 1997. "A Proposal for Designing Employment Contracts for Government Managers," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 205-216, September.
- Dalen, Dag Morten & Gomez-Lobo, Andres, 1997. "Estimating cost functions in regulated industries characterized by asymmetric information," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 935-942, April.
- Førsund, Finn R. & Kittelsen, Sverre A. C., 1998. "Productivity development of Norwegian electricity distribution utilities," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 207-224, September.
- Rajiv D. Banker, 1993. "Maximum Likelihood, Consistency and Data Envelopment Analysis: A Statistical Foundation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(10), pages 1265-1273, October.
- Resende, Marcelo, 2002. "Relative efficiency measurement and prospects for yardstick competition in Brazilian electricity distribution," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 637-647, June.
- Peter Bogetoft, 1994. "Incentive Efficient Production Frontiers: An Agency Perspective on DEA," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(8), pages 959-968, August.
- Thanassoulis, Emmanuel, 2000. "DEA and its use in the regulation of water companies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 127(1), pages 1-13, November.
- Duranton, Gilles & Martin, Philippe & Mayer, Thierry & Mayneris, Florian, 2010. "The Economics of Clusters: Lessons from the French Experience," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199592203, October.
- Asmild, Mette & Bogetoft, Peter & Leth Hougaard, Jens, 2013. "Rationalising inefficiency: Staff utilisation in branches of a large Canadian bank," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 80-87.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.