Competition and growth: reinterpreting their relationship
AbstractIn this paper we modify a standard quality ladder model by assuming that R&D is driven by outsider firms and the winners of the race sell licenses over their patents, instead of entering directly the inter- mediate good sector. As a reward they get the aggregate profit of the industry. Moreover, in the intermediate good sector firms compete à la Cournot and it is assumed that there are spillovers represented by strategic complementarities on costs. Our goal is to prove that there exists an interval of values of the spillover parameter such that the relationship between competition and growth is an inverted-U-shape.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE) in its series CORE Discussion Papers with number 2010033.
Date of creation: 01 Jul 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
quality ladder; Cournot oligopoly; strategic complementarities; competition and growth;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- L16 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Industrial Organization and Macroeconomics; Macroeconomic Industrial Structure
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- O52 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Europe
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-10-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2010-10-02 (Business Economics)
- NEP-COM-2010-10-02 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CSE-2010-10-02 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-INO-2010-10-02 (Innovation)
- NEP-IPR-2010-10-02 (Intellectual Property Rights)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Claude d'Aspremont & Rodolphe Dos Santos Ferreira & Louis-André Gérard-Varet, 2010.
"Strategic R&D investment, competitive toughness and growth,"
International Journal of Economic Theory,
The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 6(3), pages 273-295.
- D'ASPREMONT, Claude & DOS SANTOS FERREIRA, Rodolphe & GERARD-VARET, Louis-André, 2004. "Strategic R&D investment, competitive toughness and growth," CORE Discussion Papers 2004014, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- d’ASPREMONT, Claude & DOS SANTOS FERREIRA, Rodolphe & GERARD-VARET, Louis-André, . "Strategic R&D investment, competitive toughness and growth," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2240, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Andr� van Stel & Henry Nieuwenhuijsen, 2002. "Knowledge Spillovers and Economic Growth," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 02-051/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Aghion, Philippe & Harris, Christopher & Vickers, John, 1997. "Competition and growth with step-by-step innovation: An example," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 771-782, April.
- Onori, Daria, 2012.
"Welfare, competition, specialization and growth,"
Research in Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 66(4), pages 355-370.
- Daria Onori, 2011. "Welfare, Competition, Specialization and Growth," Working Papers halshs-00580722, HAL.
- Daria ONORI, 2011. "Welfare, Competition, Specialization and Growth," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2011011, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.