Estimating the dynamics of R&D-based growth models
AbstractSeveral R&D-based models of endogenous economic growth are investigated under the Solow-like assumption of fixed allocation of resources across activities. We identify model parameters that lead to explosive dynamics and analyze various economic techniques to avoid it. The techniques include adding stricter constraints on model trajectories and limiting factors in technology equation. In particular, we demonstrate that our vintage version of the well known R&D-based model of economic growth (Jones, 1995) exhibits the same balanced dynamics as the original model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE) in its series CORE Discussion Papers with number 2008052.
Date of creation: 01 Sep 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)
Fax: +32 10474301
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
vintage capital models; endogenous technological change; R&D investment; explosive dynamics; nonlinear Volterra integral equations.;
Other versions of this item:
- Yuri, YATSENKO & Raouf, BOUCEKKINE & Natali, HRITONENKO, 2008. "Estimating the Dynamics of R&D-based Growth Models," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2008034, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- E20 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- O40 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
- C60 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-11-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2008-11-25 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-DGE-2008-11-25 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-KNM-2008-11-25 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-MAC-2008-11-25 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raouf, BOUCEKKINE & Natali, HRITONENKO & Yuri, YATSENKO, 2008.
"Optimal firm behavior under environmental constraints,"
Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques)
2008017, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- BOUCEKKINE, Raouf & HRITONENKO, Natali & YATSENKO, Yuri, 2008. "Optimal firm behavior under environmental constraints," CORE Discussion Papers 2008024, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Raouf Boucekkine & Natali Hritonenko & Yuri Yatsenko, . "Optimal Firm Behavior under Environmental Constraints," Working Papers 2008_11, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Boucekkine, Raouf & Licandro, Omar & Paul, Christopher, 1997.
"Differential-difference equations in economics: On the numerical solution of vintage capital growth models,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 21(2-3), pages 347-362.
- Raouf Boucekkine & Omar Licandro & Christopher Paul, . "Differential-Difference Equations in Economics: On the Numerical Solution of Vintage Capital Growth Models," Computing in Economics and Finance 1996 _036, Society for Computational Economics.
- Boucekkine, Raouf & Licandro, Omar & Paul, Christopher, . "Differential-difference equations in economics: on the numerical solution of vintage capital growth models," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/3951, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Boucekkine, Raouf, 1997. "Differential-difference equations in economics: On the numerical solution of vintage capital growth models," Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain info:hdl:2078/94386, Université catholique de Louvain.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.