On the intensity of downside risk aversion
AbstractThe degree of downside risk aversion (or equivalently prudence) is so far usually measured by -U'''/U''. We propose here another measure, U'''/U', which has interesting properties, different from those related to -U'''/U''. It also appears that the two measures are not mutually exclusive. Instead, they seem to be rather complementary as shown through an economic application.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE) in its series CORE Discussion Papers with number 2007088.
Date of creation: 01 Nov 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
downside risk aversion; prudence; local and global properties;
Other versions of this item:
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jindapon, Paan & Neilson, William S., 2007. "Higher-order generalizations of Arrow-Pratt and Ross risk aversion: A comparative statics approach," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 719-728, September.
- Gollier, Christian & Pratt, John W, 1996. "Risk Vulnerability and the Tempering Effect of Background Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(5), pages 1109-23, September.
- Scott, Robert C & Horvath, Philip A, 1980. " On the Direction of Preference for Moments of Higher Order Than the Variance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(4), pages 915-19, September.
- Keenan, Donald C & Snow, Arthur, 2002. " Greater Downside Risk Aversion," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 267-77, May.
- Diamond, Peter A. & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1974. "Increases in risk and in risk aversion," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 337-360, July.
- Menezes, C & Geiss, C & Tressler, J, 1980. "Increasing Downside Risk," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 921-32, December.
- Jérôme Foncel & Nicolas Treich, 2005. "Fear of Ruin," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 289-300, December.
- EECKHOUDT, Louis & SCHLESINGER, Harris, .
"Putting risk in its proper place,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1871, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ross, Stephen A, 1981. "Some Stronger Measures of Risk Aversion in the Small and the Large with Applications," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(3), pages 621-38, May.
- Modica, Salvatore & Scarsini, Marco, 2005. "A note on comparative downside risk aversion," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 122(2), pages 267-271, June.
- Robert B. Barsky, 1986.
"Why Don't the Prices of Stocks and Bonds Move Together?,"
NBER Working Papers
2047, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barsky, Robert B, 1989. "Why Don't the Prices of Stocks and Bonds Move Together?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(5), pages 1132-45, December.
- Aumann, Robert J & Kurz, Mordecai, 1977. "Power and Taxes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(5), pages 1137-61, July.
- Miles S. Kimball, 1989.
"Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large,"
NBER Working Papers
2848, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kimball, Miles S, 1990. "Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 53-73, January.
- Milton Friedman & L. J. Savage, 1948. "The Utility Analysis of Choices Involving Risk," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 56, pages 279.
- Gollier, Christian & Hammitt, James & Treich, Nicolas, 2013.
"Risk and Choice: A Research Saga,"
TSE Working Papers
13-444, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Keenan, Donald C. & Snow, Arthur, 2010. "Greater prudence and greater downside risk aversion," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 145(5), pages 2018-2026, September.
- Kim, Kwansoo & Chavas, Jean-Paul & Barham, Bradford L. & Foltz, Jeremy D., 2012. "Rice, Irrigation and Downside Risk: A Quantile Analysis of Risk Exposure and Mitigation on Korean Farms," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124814, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00336475 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00635558 is not listed on IDEAS
- David Crainich & Louis Eeckhoudt & James K. Hammitt, 2013. "The Value of Risk Reduction: New Tools for an Old Problem," Working Papers 2013-ECO-13, IESEG School of Management.
- Sebastian Ebert & Daniel Wiesen, 2009. "An experimental methodology testing for prudence and third-order preferences," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse21_2009, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Liqun Liu & Jack Meyer, 2012. "Decreasing absolute risk aversion, prudence and increased downside risk aversion," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 44(3), pages 243-260, June.
- David Crainich & Louis Eeckhoudt & Olivier Le Courtois, 2013. "An index of (absolute) correlation aversion: theory and some implications," Working Papers 2013-ECO-12, IESEG School of Management.
- Donald Keenan & Arthur Snow, 2012. "The Schwarzian derivative as a ranking of downside risk aversion," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 44(2), pages 149-160, April.
- Elyès Jouini & Clotilde Napp & Diego Nocetti, 2013.
"On Multivariate Prudence,"
- Jindapon, Paan, 2010. "Prudence probability premium," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 109(1), pages 34-37, October.
- Georges Dionne & Jingyuan Li & Cedric Okou, 2012. "An Extension of the Consumption-based CAPM Model," Cahiers de recherche 1214, CIRPEE.
- Liu, Liqun & Meyer, Jack, 2013. "Substituting one risk increase for another: A method for measuring risk aversion," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 148(6), pages 2706-2718.
- Liqun Liu & Jack Meyer, 2013. "Normalized measures of concavity and Ross’s strongly more risk averse order," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 47(2), pages 185-198, October.
- Jindapon, Paan, 2013. "Do risk lovers invest in self-protection?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 121(2), pages 290-293.
- Richard Watt, 2011. "A note on greater downside risk aversion," ICER Working Papers 17-2011, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.