Two results about generic non cooperative voting games with plurality rule
AbstractIn this paper, we prove that for generic (non cooperative) voting games under plurality rule an equilibrium that induces a mixed distribution over the outcomes (i.e. with two or more candidates elected with positive probability) is isolated. From that we deduce also that the set of equilibrium distributions over outcomes is finite. Furthermore, we offer an example (due to Govindan and McLennan) that shows the impossibility of extending such results to a general framework.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE) in its series CORE Discussion Papers with number 1998034.
Date of creation: 01 Jun 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Kreps & Robert Wilson, 1998.
Levine's Working Paper Archive
237, David K. Levine.
- Kohlberg, Elon & Mertens, Jean-Francois, 1986.
"On the Strategic Stability of Equilibria,"
Econometric Society, vol. 54(5), pages 1003-37, September.
- KOHLBERG, Elon & MERTENS, Jean-François, . "On the strategic stability of equilibria," CORE Discussion Papers RP -716, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- E. Kohlberg & J.-F. Mertens, 1998. "On the Strategic Stability of Equilibria," Levine's Working Paper Archive 445, David K. Levine.
- Govindan, Srihari & McLennan, Andrew, 2001.
"On the Generic Finiteness of Equilibrium Outcome Distributions in Game Forms,"
Econometric Society, vol. 69(2), pages 455-71, March.
- Govindan, S & McLennan, A, 1997. "On the Generic Finiteness of Equilibrium Outcome Distributions in Game Forms," Papers 299, Minnesota - Center for Economic Research.
- Roger B. Myerson & Robert J. Weber, 1988. "A Theory of Voting Equilibria," Discussion Papers 782, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- DE SINOPOLI, Francesco, 1998. "Strategic stability and non cooperative voting games: the plurality rule," CORE Discussion Papers 1998043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- DE SINOPOLI, Francesco, 1999. "Further remarks on strategic stability in plurality games," CORE Discussion Papers 1999030, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Iannantuoni, Giovanna, 2003.
"Divided government and dominance solvability,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 715-733, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.