Modelling interest rates with a cointegrated VAR-GARCH model
AbstractWe use a bivariate VAR model to model and predict the joint evolution of short term and long term interest rates. We introduce a GARCH effect on the innovations of the model in order to account for the changing volatility of the series. We test the cointegration of the two interest rates, which is implied by a present value relation between the rates. The cointegration test is done both with and without taking account of the GARCH effect. The empirical results for five countries (Belgium, Germany, France, Great Britain and the USA) point to the same conclusions: i) the incorporation of the GARCH part allows to conclude more clearly that a cointegration relation exists; ii) GARCH effects are quite present; and iii) the models are useful for short term predictions of interest rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE) in its series CORE Discussion Papers with number 1997080.
Date of creation: 01 Oct 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomas J. Sargent, 1978.
"A note on maximum likelihood estimation of the rational expectations model of the term structure,"
26, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Sargent, Thomas J., 1979. "A note on maximum likelihood estimation of the rational expectations model of the term structure," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 133-143, January.
- John Y. Campbell & Robert J. Shiller, 1988.
"Cointegration and Tests of Present Value Models,"
NBER Working Papers
1885, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Y. Campbell & Robert J. Shiller, 1986. "Cointegration and Tests of Present Value Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 785, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Campbell, John & Shiller, Robert, 1987. "Cointegration and Tests of Present Value Models," Scholarly Articles 3122490, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Kim, Kiwhan & Schmidt, Peter, 1993. "Unit root tests with conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 287-300, October.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501.
- Caner, Mehmet, 1998. "Tests for cointegration with infinite variance errors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 155-175, June.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Lai, Kon S, 1993. "Finite-Sample Sizes of Johansen's Likelihood Ration Tests for Conintegration," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 55(3), pages 313-28, August.
- Chang, Yoosoon & Isaac Miller, J. & Park, Joon Y., 2009. "Extracting a common stochastic trend: Theory with some applications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 150(2), pages 231-247, June.
- J. Isaac Miller & Yoosoon Chang & Joon Y. Park, 2005.
"Extracting a Common Stochastic Trend:Theories with Some Applications,"
0507, Department of Economics, University of Missouri, revised 18 Aug 2005.
- Chang, Yoosoon & Miller, J. Isaac & Park, Joon Y., 2005. "Extracting a Common Stochastic Trend: Theories with Some Applications," Working Papers 2005-06, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Yvan Lengwiler & Carlos Lenz, 2008.
"Intelligible Factors for the Yield Curve,"
2008-02, Swiss National Bank.
- Ge, Yuanlong & Wang, H. Holly & Ahn, Sung K., 2008. "Implication of Cotton Price Behavior on Market Integration," 2008 Conference, April 21-22, 2008, St. Louis, Missouri 37623, NCCC-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.