Education Subsidies and Endogenous Growth : Implications of Demographic Shocks
AbstractIn this paper we develop a three-period overlapping generations model in which individual decisions about education are the engine of growth. In this setting, it is first shown that an education subsidy combined with a hunJrsum redistribution from adults to retirees makes it possible to reach the optimum in a market context. Then we examine how these transfers should be adjusted in the presence of unexpected natality shocks. Especially, in the case of a " baby boom-baby bust" shock, the sharing of the shock burden requires increased transfers to retirees when the share of elderlies peaks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE) in its series CORE Discussion Papers with number 1994052.
Date of creation: 01 Oct 1994
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- DOCQUIER, Frédéric & PADDISON, Oliver, 2000. "Growth and equality effects of pension plans," CORE Discussion Papers 2000036, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- David Croix & Philippe Michel, 2007.
"Education and growth with endogenous debt constraints,"
Springer, vol. 33(3), pages 509-530, December.
- DE LA CROIX, David & MICHEL, Philippe, . "Education and growth with endogenous debt constraints," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1991, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- DE LA CROIX, David & MICHEL, Philippe, 2004. "Education and growth with endogenous debt constraints," CORE Discussion Papers 2004074, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- David, DE LA CROIX, 2004. "Education and Growth with Endogenous Debt Constraints," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2004020, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.