Index Mutual Fund Replication
AbstractThis paper discusses the application of an index tracking technique to mutual fund replication problems. By using a tracking error (TE) minimization method and two tactical rebalancing strategies (i.e. the calendar based strategy and the tolerance triggered strategy), a multi-period fund tracking model is developed that replicates S&P 500 mutual fund returns. The impact of excess returns and loss aversion on overall tracking performance is also discussed in two extended cases of the original TE optimization respectively. An evolutionary method, namely Differential Evolution, is used for optimizing the asset weights. According to the experiment results, it is found that the proposed model replicates the first two moments of the fund returns by using only five equities. The TE optimization strategy under loss aversion with tolerance triggered rebalancing dominates other combinations studied with regard to tracking ability and cost efficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by COMISEF in its series Working Papers with number 035.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: 17 May 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.comisef.eu
Passive Portfolio Management; Fund Tracking; MultiPeriod Optimization; Differential Evolution;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Beasley, J. E. & Meade, N. & Chang, T. -J., 2003. "An evolutionary heuristic for the index tracking problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 148(3), pages 621-643, August.
- Carhart, Mark M, 1997. " On Persistence in Mutual Fund Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 57-82, March.
- William F. Sharpe, 1965. "Mutual Fund Performance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 39, pages 119.
- Andriosopoulos, Kostas & Nomikos, Nikos, 2014. "Performance replication of the Spot Energy Index with optimal equity portfolio selection: Evidence from the UK, US and Brazilian markets," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 234(2), pages 571-582.
- Andriosopoulos, Kostas & Doumpos, Michael & Papapostolou, Nikos C. & Pouliasis, Panos K., 2013. "Portfolio optimization and index tracking for the shipping stock and freight markets using evolutionary algorithms," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 52(C), pages 16-34.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anil Khuman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.