Price-based capital account regulations: the Colombian experience
AbstractThe Chilean experience with price-based capital account regulations (i.e., deposits or reserve requirements on capital inflows) has been subject to extensive discussion in the recent literature. This paper presents evidence on the effectiveness of similar regulations in Colombia since September 1993, when traditional exchange controls were replaced by price-based regulations. It is important to emphasize that the Tobin tax equivalent of such regulations in Colombia has been quite high (13.6% and 6.4% tax for 12 and 36 months loans, respectively, in 1994-1998), and, as in Chile, it is certainly much higher than the rates suggested for an international Tobin tax. The econometric evidence presented indicates that these regulations have been effective in Colombia, both in terms of reducing the volume of flows and in improving the term structure of external borrowing. This indicates that price-based regulations give the authorities some room for maneuver to adopt restrictive monetary policies during international capital market booms. They have also been effective in improving the debt profile of the country, a crucial determinant of macroeconomic risks in the face of busts in the international capital market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CEPAL NACIONES UNIDAS in its series DOCUMENTOS DE INVESTIGACION with number 003372.
Date of creation: 30 Oct 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Salvador ValdÃ©s-Prieto & Marcelo Soto, 1998. "The Effectiveness of Capital Controls: Theory and Evidence from Chile," Empirica, Springer, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 133-164, January.
- Chisari, Omar & Ferro, Gustavo & González, Mariano & León, Sonia & Maquieryra, Javier & Mastronardi, Leonardo & Roitman, Mauricio & Romero, Carlos & Theller, Ricardo, 2010. "Modelo de Equilibrio General Computado para la Argentina 2006," UADE Textos de DiscusiÃ³n, Instituto de EconomÃa, Universidad Argentina de la Empresa 63_2010, Instituto de Economía, Universidad Argentina de la Empresa.
- Ocampo, Jose Antonio, 2002. "Capital-Account and Counter-Cyclical Prudential Regulations in Developing Countries," Working Paper Series, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER) UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- José Antonio OCAMPO, 2001. "Recasting The International Financial Agenda," G-24 Discussion Papers, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development 13, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Leonardo Villar & Hernán Rincón, .
"The Colombian Economy in the nineties: Capital Flows and Foreign Exchange Regimes,"
Borradores de Economia, Banco de la Republica de Colombia
149, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Leonardo Villar & Hernán Rincón, 2000. "The Colombian Economy In The Nineties: Capital Flows And Foreign Exchange Regimes," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA, BANCO DE LA REPÃBLICA 003575, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Antonio David, 2009.
"Are price-based capital account regulations effective in developing countries?,"
Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(26), pages 3375-3388.
- David, Antonio C., 2007. "Are price-based capital account regulations effective in developing countries ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series, The World Bank 4175, The World Bank.
- Concha, Alvaro & Galindo, Arturo José & Vasquez, Diego, 2011. "An assessment of another decade of capital controls in Colombia: 1998–2008," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 319-338.
- José Darío Uribe, 2005. "Capital controls and foreign exchange market intervention in Colombia," BIS Papers chapters, Bank for International Settlements, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Globalisation and monetary policy in emerging markets, volume 23, pages 128-40 Bank for International Settlements.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (María Alejandra Botiva León) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask María Alejandra Botiva León to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.