Financial Development and Poverty: a Panel Data Analysis
AbstractThe relationship between financial development and poverty is one that has not been extensively explored in the literature. This is the main objective of this paper. With a panel dataset of 147 countries between 1960 and 2008, and using infant mortality as a proxy indicator of poverty, the results show that the relationship between financial development and infant mortality is negative. This means that higher levels of financial development are associated with lower levels of poverty. The result is important since it already controls for the effect that economic growth has on poverty reduction, given the well documented fact that financial development has a positive effect on economic growth. The results are robust to the use of other variables as indicators of financial development, as the long-run relationship is still negative. The findings in this paper highlight the importance of financial development in poverty reduction, and suggest that future research could try and explain what are the mechanisms behind this relationship.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by UNIVERSIDAD ICESI in its series BORRADORES DE ECONOMÍA Y FINANZAS with number 010024.
Date of creation: 02 Sep 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Financial Development; Poverty Alleviation; Infant Mortality; GDP Growth;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G00 - Financial Economics - - General - - - General
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
- I15 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health and Economic Development
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ximena Duenas).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.