Social housing finance in Colombia
AbstractIn this paper we explore the role played by policy instruments on the access to housing finance of low-income households. We also analyze the impact of housing credit and subsidies on the quality of life and the quality of dwelling of the beneficiaries. Using the Quality of Life Surveys conducted in Colombia in 2003 and 2008, we find that policy instruments aimed at easing access of low-income households to affordable housing such as subsidies and guaranteed loans have played a modest role in increasing the use of mortgage as a source of funding. Despite this, we show that subsidies have had a significant impact on both the quality of dwelling and the quality of life. Therefore, this paper suggests promoting the use of both instruments by improving theirdesign and targeting.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by FEDESARROLLO in its series INFORMES DE INVESTIGACIÓN with number 009057.
Date of creation: 30 Nov 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Construcción; Vivienda; Financiamiento de la vivienda; Colombia;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L74 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Primary Products and Construction - - - Construction
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- R31 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Spatial Production Analysis, and Firm Location - - - Housing Supply and Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-11-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAM-2011-11-01 (Central & South America)
- NEP-URE-2011-11-01 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mauricio Cardenas & Alejandro Badel, 2003.
"La crisis de financiamiento hipotecario en Colombia: Causas y consecuencias,"
Research Department Publications, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department
4355, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Alejandro Badel & Mauricio Cárdenas, 2003. "La crisis de financiamiento hipotecario en Colombia: causas y consecuencias," IDB Publications 7642, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Ricardo Rocha & Fabio Sánchez Torres & Jorge Tovar, 2007. "Informalidad del mercado de crédito para la vivienda de interés social," DOCUMENTOS CEDE, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE 003883, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucía Fenney Pérez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.