Education Reform in Colombia
AbstractAbstract. Public education is one of the largest components of the public sector in Colombia, in term of its size, share of public expenditures, and geographic coverage. In 1997, Colombia had 85 thousand educational establishments, 390 thousand teachers, and 8.6 million students. In addition, public school teachers and educational staff comprise the highest percentage of public sector employment. During the last half of the 1980s, the Central government promoted a reorganization of the state administration to give municipalities a greater responsibility in financing and administering most public services. This paper examines various aspects of the public education system in Colombia and evaluates the impact of the educational reforms adopted in the last decade. Our empirical analysis suggests that with the exception of teacher salaries, which experienced a significant increase after 1994, the trends in several measures of educational outcomes are roughly similar both before and after 1994. It seems unlikely, therefore, that the education reforms had much impact on Colombia’s education system. The paper concludes by making a number of policy recommendations that could improve the allocation of resources in this large and important sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by FEDESARROLLO in its series WORKING PAPERS SERIES. DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO with number 002410.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert J. Barro, 1991.
"Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
3120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mankiw, N Gregory & Romer, David & Weil, David N, 1992.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 107(2), pages 407-37, May.
- Ligia Melo B., .
"Impacto de la Descentralización Fiscal sobre la Educación Pública Colombiana,"
Borradores de Economia
350, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Ligia Melo Becerra, 2005. "Impacto De La Descentralización Fiscal Sobre La Educación Pública Colombiana," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002802, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Jaime Bonet, 2005.
"Inequidad espacial en la dotación educativa regional en Colombia,"
DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO SOBRE ECONOMÃA REGIONAL
002846, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ECONOMÍA REGIONAL.
- Jaime Bonet, 2006. "Inequidad espacial en la dotación educativa regional en Colombia," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- Carlos Estaban Posada & Wilman Gómez, 2002.
"Crecimiento Económico Y Gasto Público Un Modelo Para El Caso Colombiano,"
ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA,
BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- CARLOS ESTEBAN POSADA & Wiliman Gómez, 2002. "Crecimiento Económico Y Gasto Público Un Modelo Para El Caso Colombiano," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- Carlos Esteban Posada & Wilman Gómez, . "Crecimiento Económico y Gasto Público: Un Modelo para el Caso Colombiano," Borradores de Economia 218, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Carlos Esteban Posada & Wilman Gómez, 2002. "Crecimiento Económico y Gasto Público: Un Modelo para el Caso Colombiano," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002218, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucía Fenney Pérez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.