The Risk-Taking Channel in Colombia Revisited
AbstractLevels of interest rates below historical norms may have enhanced financial instability in developed and developing economies during the 2000's. The risk taking channel of monetary policy transmission is a recent theory that explains the interaction between risk perceptions of the financial system and monetary policy. This paper presents empirical evidence of the risk taking channel of monetary policy using detailed information on consumer and commercial loans from the Colombian banking system. Using probit and duration models we find that the banking system takes on more risk when the level of interest rates are too low. We also find that the response to interest rates is higher in the case of commercial loans.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA in its series BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA with number 009313.
Date of creation: 07 Feb 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Monetary policy; lending standards; risk taking; duration analysis; probit models.;
Other versions of this item:
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- L14 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Transactional Relationships; Contracts and Reputation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2012-02-27 (Banking)
- NEP-LAM-2012-02-27 (Central & South America)
- NEP-MON-2012-02-27 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Piti Disyatat, 2011.
"The Bank Lending Channel Revisited,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 43(4), pages 711-734, 06.
- Ioannidou, V. & Ongena, S. & Peydro, J.L., 2009. "Monetary Policy, Risk-Taking, and Pricing: Evidence from a Quasi-Natural Experiment," Discussion Paper 2009-31 S, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Leonardo Gambacorta, 2009. "Monetary policy and the risk-taking channel," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, December.
- Martha López & Fernando Tenjo & Héctor Zárate, 2011.
"The Risk-Taking Channel and Monetary Transmission Mechanism in Colombia,"
ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA,
BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- Martha López P. & Fernando Tenjo G. & Héctor Zárate Solano, . "The Risk-Taking Channel and Monetary Transmission Mechanism in Colombia," Borradores de Economia 616, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Gabriel Jiménez & Steven Ongena & José Luis Peydró & Jesús Saurina, 2009. "Hazardous times for monetary policy: What do twenty-three million bank loans say about the effects of monetary policy on credit risk-taking?," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0833, Banco de Espa�a.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2003.
"Money in a Theory of Banking,"
NBER Working Papers
10070, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eliana González & Luis F. Melo & Luis E. Rojas & Brayan Rojas, .
"Estimations of the natural rate of interest in Colombia,"
Borradores de Economia
626, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Eliana González & Luis F. Melo & Luis E. Rojas & Brayan Rojas, 2010. "Estimations of the natural rate of interest in Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 007667, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- repec:col:000094:010860 is not listed on IDEAS
- Nidia Ruth Reyes & José Eduardo Gómez G. & Jair Ojeda Joya, 2013.
"Bank Lending, Risk Taking, and the Transmission of Monetary Policy: New Evidence for Colombia,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
010970, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Ruth Reyes Nidia & José Eduardo Gómez G. & Jair Ojeda Joya, 2013. "Bank Lending, Risk Taking, and the Transmission of Monetary Policy: New Evidence for Colombia," Borradores de Economia 772, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Martha López & Fernando Tenjo Galarza & Hector Zárate, 2013.
"Credit Cycles, Credit Risk and Countercyclical Loan Provisions,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
011092, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Martha López & Fernando TenjO & Héctor Zárate, 2013. "Credit Cycles, Credit Risk and Countercyclical Loan Provisions," Borradores de Economia 788, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Norma Judith Paternina).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.