Are Capital Controls and Central Bank Intervention Effective?
AbstractCapital controls and intervention in the foreign exchange market are two controversial policy options that many countries have adopted in the past in order to influence the exchange rate and moderate capital flows. Colombia has a long record in the use of these policies with mixed results and often non negligible costs. The objective of this paper is to evaluate for the case of Colombia the effectiveness of capital controls and central bank intervention for depreciating the exchange rate, reducing its volatility, and moderating the exchange rate vulnerability to external shocks. The paper uses high frequency data from 1993 to 2010, and a GARCH model of the peso/US dollar exchange rate return. The main findings indicate that neither capital controls nor central bank intervention used separately were successful for depreciating the exchange rate. On the contrary, they augmented its volatility. Nonetheless, when both policies were used simultaneously, a statistical significant effect was obtained by which the interaction of capital control and intervention in the foreign exchange market were effective to produce a daily average depreciation of the exchange rate, without increasing its volatility. This result however should be taken with caution given the special economic circumstances that characterized 2008, when most of this interaction happened.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA in its series BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA with number 007622.
Date of creation: 20 Oct 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Other versions of this item:
- Hernán Rincón & Jorge Toro, . "Are Capital Controls and Central Bank Intervention Effective?," Borradores de Economia 625, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-11-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2010-11-06 (Central Banking)
- NEP-IFN-2010-11-06 (International Finance)
- NEP-MON-2010-11-06 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Juan José Echavarría & Diego Vásquez & Mauricio Villamizar, 2009.
"Impacto de las Intervenciones Cambiarias sobre el Nivel y la Volatilidad de la Tasa de Cambio en Colombia,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
005509, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Juan José Echavarría & Diego Vásquez & Mauricio Villamizar, 2010. "Impacto de las intervenciones cambiarias sobre el nivel y la volatilidad de la tasa de cambio en Colombia," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- Juan José Echavarría & Diego Vásquez & Mauricio Villamizar, . "Impacto de las Intervenciones Cambiarias sobre el Nivel y la Volatilidad de la Tasa de Cambio en Colombia," Borradores de Economia 561, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Tito Cordella, 1998.
"Can short-Term Capital Controls Promote Capital Inflows?,"
IMF Working Papers
98/131, International Monetary Fund.
- Cordella, Tito, 2003. "Can short-term capital controls promote capital inflows?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 737-745, October.
- Cordella, Tito, 1998. "Can Short-Term Capital Controls Promote Capital Inflows," CEPR Discussion Papers 2011, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Juan José Echavarría S. & Enrique López E. & Martha Misas A., .
"Intervenciones cambiarias y política monetaria en Colombia. Un análisis de VAR estructural,"
Borradores de Economia
580, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Juan José Echavarría & Enrique López E. & Martha Misas A., 2009. "Intervenciones cambiarias y política monetaria en Colombia. Un análisis de VAR estructural," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 006127, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Martha Misas A & Juan José Echavarría S & Enrique López E, 2010. "Intervenciones cambiarias y política monetaria en Colombia. Un análisis de var estructural," VNIVERSITAS ECONÃMICA 008293, UNIVERSIDAD JAVERIANA - BOGOTÁ.
- Cardenas, Mauricio & Barrera, Felipe, 1997. "On the effectiveness of capital controls: The experience of Colombia during the 1990s," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 27-57, October.
- Nicolas E. Magud & Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2011.
"Capital Controls: Myth and Reality - A Portfolio Balance Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
16805, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nicolas E. Magud E. & Carmen M. & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2011. "Capital Controls: Myth and Reality--A Portfolio Balance Approach," Working Paper Series WP11-7, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- International Monetary Fund, 2011. "Foreign Exchange Intervention: A Shield Against Appreciation Winds?," IMF Working Papers 11/165, International Monetary Fund.
- Lambert, F. & Ramos-Tallada, J. & Rebillard, C., 2011. "Capital controls and spillover effects: evidence from Latin-American countries," Working papers 357, Banque de France.
- Hernando Vargas H, 2011. "Monetary policy and the exchange rate in Colombia," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Capital flows, commodity price movements and foreign exchange intervention, volume 57, pages 129-153 Bank for International Settlements.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Norma Judith Paternina).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.