Early Warning Indicators for Latin America""
AbstractWe explore the performance of a set of early warning indicators for a group of Latin American economies under the endogenous cycle perspective. For this group of countries, the paper confirms the results of work on industrialized countries that a combination of asset prices and credit provides valuable information of probable future financial crises. However, we go a step further in the analysis of emerging economies and find that a combination of capital flows from abroad and credit is an even superior leading indicator of such events.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA in its series BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA with number 007073.
Date of creation: 08 Jun 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Financial (in) stability; early warning indicators; financial accelerator.;
Other versions of this item:
- E30 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- F30 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - General
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-06-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2010-06-18 (Development)
- NEP-MAC-2010-06-18 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ben Bernanke & Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist, 1998.
"The Financial Accelerator in a Quantitative Business Cycle Framework,"
NBER Working Papers
6455, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernanke, Ben S. & Gertler, Mark & Gilchrist, Simon, 1999. "The financial accelerator in a quantitative business cycle framework," Handbook of Macroeconomics, in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 21, pages 1341-1393 Elsevier.
- Luis Felipe Cespedes & Roberto Chang & Andres Velasco, 2000.
"Balance Sheets and Exchange Rate Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
7840, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reinhart, Carmen M. & Rogoff, Kenneth S., 2013.
"Banking crises: An equal opportunity menace,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 4557-4573.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2009. "Banking Crises: An Equal Opportunity Menace," CEPR Discussion Papers 7131, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2008. "Banking Crises: An Equal Opportunity Menace," NBER Working Papers 14587, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ian Christensen & Ali Dib, 2008. "The Financial Accelerator in an Estimated New Keynesian Model," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 11(1), pages 155-178, January.
- Martha R. López & Juan D. Prada & Norberto Rodríguez Niño, 2008.
"Financial Accelerator Mechanism in a Small Open Economy,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
004992, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Martha R. López & Juan D. Prada & Norberto Rodríguez N., . "Financial Accelerator Mechanism in a Small Open Economy," Borradores de Economia 525, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Camilo E Tovar, 2006. "Devaluations, output and the balance sheet effect: a structural econometric analysis," BIS Working Papers 215, Bank for International Settlements.
- Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist & Fabio Natalucci, 2001.
"External constraints on monetary policy and the financial accelerator,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Mar.
- Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist & Fabio M. Natalucci, 2007. "External Constraints on Monetary Policy and the Financial Accelerator," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 39(2-3), pages 295-330, 03.
- Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist & Fabio Natalucci, 2003. "External Constraints on Monetary Policy and the Financial Accelerator," NBER Working Papers 10128, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist & Fabio M. Natalucci, 2003. "External constraints on monetary policy and the financial accelerator," BIS Working Papers 139, Bank for International Settlements.
- Stijn Claessens & M. Ayhan Kose & Marco E. Terrones, 2009.
"What happens during recessions, crunches and busts?,"
CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 24, pages 653-700, October.
- Claessens, Stijn & Kose, Ayhan & Terrones, Marco E., 2008. "What Happens During Recessions, Crunches and Busts?," CEPR Discussion Papers 7085, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marco Terrones & M. Ayhan Kose & Stijn Claessens, 2008. "What Happens During Recessions, Crunches, and Busts?," IMF Working Papers 08/274, International Monetary Fund.
- Marco Terrones & Enrique G. Mendoza, 2008. "An Anatomy of Credit Booms," IMF Working Papers 08/226, International Monetary Fund.
- Fernando Tenjo Galarza & Luisa F. Charry & Martha López P. & Juan M.Ramírez C., .
"Acelerador Financiero y Ciclos Económicos en Colombia: Un Ejercicio Exploratorio,"
Borradores de Economia
451, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Fernando Tenjo & Luisa F. Charrry V. & Martha López & Juan M. Ramírez, 2007. "Acelerador Financiero y Ciclos Económicos en Colombia: Un Ejercicio Exploratorio," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 004019, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Enrique G. Mendoza & Marco E. Terrones, 2008.
"An anatomy of credit booms: evidence from macro aggregates and micro data,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
936, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Enrique G. Mendoza & Marco E. Terrones, 2008. "An Anatomy Of Credit Booms: Evidence From Macro Aggregates And Micro Data," NBER Working Papers 14049, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Juan Amador & José Gómez-González & Andrés Pabón, 2013.
"Loan growth and bank risk: new evidence,"
Financial Markets and Portfolio Management,
Springer, vol. 27(4), pages 365-379, December.
- Ponomarenko, Alexey, 2013.
"Early warning indicators of asset price boom/bust cycles in emerging markets,"
Emerging Markets Review,
Elsevier, vol. 15(C), pages 92-106.
- Ponomarenko, Alexey, 2012. "Early warning indicators of asset price boom/bust cycles in emerging markets," BOFIT Discussion Papers 22/2012, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Carolina Arteaga & Carlos Huertas Campos & Sergio Olarte Armenta, 2012.
"Índice de Desbalance Macroeconómico,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
010077, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Juan Sebastián Amador Torres & José Eduardo Gómez G. & Andrés Murcia Pabón, 2013.
"Loans Growth and Banks´ Risk: New Evidence,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
010710, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Norma Judith Paternina).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.